• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
debau1

Relaxed ex race horse

Hi Fellow QS students.

I just wanted to share with you something that I did not think I would ever achieve with my ex race horse 'Final Account' or Bill (clever huh, I just inherited him with this stable name). :P

Bill & I have 'Evented' in the past & never had a time penalty. He is fast, responsive & I love speed. A match made in heaven I thought.

When we rode out with others, I always preferred to ride in the lead as Bill never seemed to accept being behind another horse very well. He would prance, toss his head, grind his teeth & insist he be in front & generally it was a more comfortable ride for all of us if we stayed in front. If we went for a canter in a group ride, he would put a lot of pressure on those around him, pushing to get ahead & go faster & faster until the canter became a gallop. Don't misunderstand me & assume Bill would bolt, he never did on me. I could always ask him to slow & he would, but he would take any relaxation on the rein as a sign that he could stride out & go faster. It seemed to me that he thought any group ride was a potential race which he must win.

I have now been doing the QS program with Bill for 8 months. We're still level 1 (only 2 assignments to go until level 2! :rolleyes: )

4 weeks ago I rode out with my 16 yo niece & her 15 yo friend. They are both inexperienced but enthusiastic riders with horses they have 'free leased'. They were very enthusiastic to go for a ride with me & my horse Bill so I floated him out to Anglesea to where they agisted their horses, lots of good areas to ride without fences to impede your progress. Whilst out with them, I allowed them to dictate the pace as not to put any pressure on them. A canter was requested by my niece & her friend who was also riding a retired race horse. I was riding Bill in just a rope hackamore but still I felt comfortable with this request & stated that I would ride behind so as not to push the either my nieces or her friends horse into a 'race situation'.

We all struck off into a canter together, I immediately gave Bill a loose rope to reward him for the nice transition up. To my absolute surprise & delight, I never had to touch that rope as he relaxed into the most beautiful, steady canter pace behind the other two horses & at no time attempted to accelerate or race the others who were in front of him. It was magical to me. :D

We even went for a gallop during the ride (very safe choice of straight, no hazard terrain) where I did encourage Bill to stretch out in front of the others as he had so much more speed than either of the other two horses. I asked him to slow by lowering my energy, he did and we relaxed into a lovely free walk until the others caught up. He didn't miss a beat. We turned and headed for home on a loose rope & he just remained in that beautiful walk. No attempt to transition up.

This is amazing progress for Bill & I, I never actually believed I would not need a bridle to keep him in check in these challenging situations.

Yay Final Account. :clap:

Yay!! Thanks for posting. I have an ex racehorse too, so this is heartening to read.

Good for you both!

Yay! Well done Deb! Such a huge change for your boy, and that is just from doing level 1..Great things to come for the two of you I think!

Ah Deb!.....what a wonderful, wonderful story. So lovely to hear success stories like this. It is great to hear that Bill has found some impulsion and doesn't feel the need to go faster all the time but even better to hear how relaxed and happy he is. Such a great gift to give our ponies, the confidence and calmness to just be themselves and really enjoy their time with us. Especially for ex-racehorses. I've had a few myself and it's so nice to be able to ask them to go quickly, that it's alright and to both have fun doing it.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Well done Deb!! Sounds like you and Bill have reached a new realm of comfort and release!! Good on ya!! :clapping::clapping:

Guest Junior

Beautiful thank you for sharing, Bill is a new horse with a lovely understanding new rider - your both so lucky to have each other & yo have found QS. I had a similar experience with my x race horse although she was & isn't competitive by nature she is very forward & looked for the comfort of the bit being held. When we did the Release Focus Training clinic with Shane it changed our worlds. Not straight away but over the next weeks she began to relax & one day when i released i felt her whole body relax.. I sat there for a while licking chewing myself then leapt off and gave her a big hug. Tg6ank you Quantum Savvy. Cheers.🍸 Nancy

Wow what an amazing change in your journey together. So beautiful for you both- enjoy and look forward to hearing more in the future :)

Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone Deb, outside of QS you are probably the most knowledgable horsewoman I know so its so lovely to hear how much you have been able to help Bill out within the program! I look forward to seeing how you both progress as you enter Level 2!

Beautiful story so exciting to see what our amazing racers can offer us to share together :))

Edited by clairestack

Deb I have only just caught up with your post. I'm really pleased you and Bill have found comfort out with company.