• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Sarah

Sore feet

Guest Sarah

Hi Everyone,

My new horse Red had his shoes taken off yesterday at my request. Today he is was walking so gingerly and looking very sore to the point where he was tripping with his front feet. He was only shod in the front feet. Not quite sure how for how long but at least a year. I did a quick google search and one site said they can be sore for months up to a year! No!!! I have a lesson package starting next week!

My question is should I buy some hoof boots? I know nothing about them at all.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

So sorry to hear that your boy is sore :( in my experience in the past with having shoes on is that they can be a bit sore afterwards, as the sole needs to harden up again. Depending on your horses predisposition to being barefoot may determine how long he is sore for.

I've used the easy boots on my mare as she has had very thin soles in the past so has been very tender under foot. I found them really useful for her when we are riding and only used them on the front. I feel they are well worth the investment as it means peace of mind when out riding

Their website is

www.easycaredownunder.com.au

Good luck and have fun at the lesson packs!

Hi there Sarah,

Do you have a barehoofcare professional around you that can help?

Yes boots will be a great option to offer hoof protection so he can move freely and you will be able to start your lesson packages.

Elise has mentioned a great boot site of EasyCareDownUnder, they use a very easy to measure system, very quick in sending the order to you and if the size isnt quite right, they will swap them.

Good luck and enjoy you first lesson packages :)

Jenn

Thanks for the info Elise and Jenn! I had a look at the easycare website. There are many types of boots...there is one called a transition boot.....which types have you used before? They are hideously expensive :(

I'm hoping he'll come good quickly and I won't need them!

Hi Sarah, Coolie was sore initially when I first took his shoes off, I was just mindful that it took a little for him to get used the feeling again and for them to harden. He has great feet now. Don't worry about our lessons - the arena should be sandy enough and we will make allowances for him. The right thing is he has his shoes off now, so lets give him some time and if boots are needed Elise and Jen have given some great advice. I have had no experience with boots sorry.

Looking forward to next weekend!

Hi Sarah,

Great to hear that you have taken the shoes off your horse, although you are seeing a bit of a ginger transition atm, in the future you pony will be so much better off for it.

I have had experience with a few different kind of boots. If you call the guy as easy care down under he is really helpful.

I have a thoroughbred who gets sore when i work him on different surfaces, his feet are all different sizes and shapes, he was able to recommend the right kind of boot and took all the quest work out of it!

They might seem expensive first up, but when you consider what it costs to get your horse shod, each few weeks, it doesn't take long to add up. I have had a pair of boots for leroy for the last 6 years.... we rarely wear them now, but if i need them they are there and just put them on and off we go!

Good luck with it... would love to know how your pony is going!

Cheers

Jill.

Thanks Fiona and Jill. Good point Jill about the cost and thanks for the info on the boots. Today Red seemed to be walking around ok on the grass but when he came up onto the harder surfaces he still looked sore. I'm hoping he'll be ok on the float on Saturday. I am wondering whether I would need the boots for floating....would it affect his balance? As you pointed out Fiona, the ground is soft at Cooroy.

One thing that could help the float trip is some wood shavings in the float.... its normally used to soak up urine, but could help with the jarring.. a cheap alternative to help him out in the time until you get the boots...

As far as floating him in the boots it would be fine! They'll help take the pressure off!

I would defiantly use them as much as you can, and take them off for breaks i.e., leave them on in the day and off at night. Depends on the type you get, where your horse lives and how he is going, but the easy care guy will be able to help you with that....

Jenn Wagstaff, QS Prof and Instructor is a brilliant barefoot professional, you could private message her and ask her any questions, and if she isn't up your way maybe suggest a colleague to visit and give advice also...

Cheers

Jill.

Hi Sarah!

I've been having some similar issues with my boy who's been barefoot for almost 2 years now. It's seems to come and go depending on how the ground is and in the UK it's very changeable! My farrier has suggested scoot boots as some of his other clients have been very impressed with them and ease of use (a bit like crocs for horses). He's also recommended Keratex hoof hardener which I am using until the boots arrive but too early to give any useful opinion of its effectiveness! It does however contain formaldehyde which although the company explains its use and safety for our horses does make me a little uneasy! Def agree although boots a bit pricey compared to regular showing you'll soon appreciate the overall saving in costs and hopefully longte benefits for your horse!

Good luck

Sam

Hi Sarah!

I've been having some similar issues with my boy who's been barefoot for almost 2 years now. It's seems to come and go depending on how the ground is and in the UK it's very changeable! My farrier has suggested scoot boots as some of his other clients have been very impressed with them and ease of use (a bit like crocs for horses). He's also recommended Keratex hoof hardener which I am using until the boots arrive but too early to give any useful opinion of its effectiveness! It does however contain formaldehyde which although the company explains its use and safety for our horses does make me a little uneasy! Def agree although boots a bit pricey compared to regular showing you'll soon appreciate the overall saving in costs and hopefully longte benefits for your horse!

Good luck

Sam

Sorry! On my enthusiasm posted twice! That should also say shoeing and NOT showing!!! X

and longterm not long te........its been a long night! X

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your message! It's been 2 weeks now since Red's shoes came off and he has remarkably improved. The lessons we had last weekend were on grass and soft sand which he handled well. He only got a bit ginger on the more compacted sand. So I'm hoping with more time things will continue to improve and I won't have to buy the boots for riding on the harder surfaces. It has been good to hear what others have found works though.

By the way I love your husbands description of your second home! He he x

I've just got hoof boots for my horse who is barefoot on the hinds. He was really struggling on hard or stony ground out riding. I got the Cavallo Trek boots, and so far they seem to give him instant relief, in that he is now not walking gingerly on the tracks he was struggling before.

Hi Girls, love the feedback,

So glad to hear that after after only two weeks since Reds shoes came off and he is doing so much better....

It is a bit of a journey, as to which Jenn (above) can attest... and I would highly recommend picking her brain if you have any technical questions...

But really once you invest in the boots you won't go wrong...

So glad you got some for True Josette, I am about to put back ones on Leroy too, we alternate, but I really think that at the moment it will help him with his power off...

Another little interesting point since this thread began is that we put them on my daughter Captains fronts, he is a little Welsh Sportaloosa Cross and has has some history of laminitis events, he is soon much happier going forward now, he is so much more comfortable and willing... so nice to see the pair of them out hooning around....

Keep us posted with the progress...

Great post guys. This will be a good one to come back too!

Yes indeed, I am about to buy some scoot boots for Buster so we can get out and about.

He had his shoes off the fronts three months ago and his hinds six months ago.

His feet are looking great and making a great comeback he is still a bit tender when out and about and he goes on very stoney ground.

Tracy

Buster and I went out without his boots on today and he coped extremely well.  He was still careful on very stoney ground however he was so much improved and I am so happy to see his hooves are getting tougher even in all this horrid wet weather we've been having.

It just shows that petience does pay off :) 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.