• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
del

My boy Jay

I have to brag about my boy Jay.

He's a 13.3/4 chestnut pony who was very right brained. Mel did work with him a number of years ago and felt he needed a lot of help through his issues and wasn't ready to be ridden. Mel felt the ground work of level 1 would help him enormously. So that is what we did

Forward a few years when Deek was out of action and Jay become my focus. Mel was right......he was a difficult horse. He bucked with the saddling procedure and also into the canter. He threw me a couple of times but we hung in there .We were lucky to have Mel and the Victorian girls to bounce things off.

It took nearly a year to stop bucking in the saddling ( he hasn't done this for a long time) but the transitions took longer.

Well yesterday we competed in a dressage competition. He was amazing..We followed the usual saddling procedure with lots of spirals and change of direction..Then onto the ridden with the same pattern. He was not fazed at all with the activity around him. The test was nice and steady (lacked impulsion at times) but he transitioned up and down when asked.

I have to thank Mel for helping us through all our issues (mainly me with trust of him), the Vic girls and to Shane and Meredith for such a great program. It works if you follow it and trust it.

I really have to thank JAY for helping me become a better horseman.

IMG_1484.JPG

It was such a pleasure to watch Del and Jay yesterday. To remember where Jay has come from and to see him handle a big competition environment was wonderful and a testament to Del's quiet perststence, faith in the program and trust in Jay. He was a bit anxious when we first arrived but Del put out her cone and worked him around that on line and then in the saddle......a pattern she has established with him, where he feels confident and happy. Didn't take long for Jay to settle and took everything very much in his stride......unlike some of the other horses there!

Well done Del.......

I love how you helped him out by taking your cone and letting him find his "pattern" of comfort. Well done! Sounds like you had a successful day.

Congrats.

Fiona

Well done Del. You have been very persistent with Jay. He's turned out to be a very good boy with all your hard work.

Well done Del! good on you for working through that to help Jay out

Great story. Well done Jay and Del

Well done Del, when you started with Jay he certainly was true to his Polo pony beginnings! You have done such a fantastic job of giving him confidence and helping him work thru his issues to where he is now calm and can find his confidence. Well done to both of you, you've both come a really long way. :cowboy:

To update this.......we just received a blue tick for our Transitions assignment. This took longer as every time he went straight along the fence he'd get faster and faster and I'd grab him.....not a good combination( mainly lack of trust on my part).

We just kept at it and we have a blue tick.

Now on to the gallop!!!

What a wonderful story Adele! Jay and yourself have come so far! You put in all the hard work, pushed through when things got tough, you ticked off your homework cards, asked for help and you kept trying. Jay certainly was a very touchy pony and you have made the world of difference for him. Well done on your competition and congratulations on your recent blue tick!

Congratulations Del And Jay :clapping:

Thanks for sharing your success story, another great example of how persistence and conscious practise can make a difference to our horse and ourselves. Once again we are so lucky to have the continued support from our coaches and our fellow students along the way.

Fantastic Del. You and Jay have worked through so much. You should brag alright! :clapping::clapping::clapping: