Student Chat 15 August

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts
  • Interests:Passionate about brumbies, love my family, my dogs, my horses - brumbies! And of course watching my two boys play baseball.
  • Is a:Level 2 Graduate
  • Local:Agent

Hi folks,

I'll be hosting August's student chat. 8pm Vic & Qld. Europe girls can you help me out with the time for you guys.

Is there a topic anyone would like to chat about or something in particular you would like to share? Please let me now asap.

I'll get back to everyone here with a link to where the chat will be, most likely fb at this stage. 

:smartass:

sml_gallery_843_342_1011331.jpg

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

https://www.facebook.com/QSGeelong/

0403 995 550

lunamorrow

lunamorrow
  • Junior
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Horses, friends, family, chocolate and learning.
  • Is a:Level 1 Graduate
Hi Jen. I can't wait! Fingers crossed I can make it to this one.

Could we discuss working with foals? Like only doing little bits and looking at comfort/release from the start, etc.? I find this really interesting and I have a friend who's mare is having a foal soon and she just joined QS to give him/her the best start. I also want to take the path of breeding & starting a foal from the start once I have gained more experience.

Edited by lunamorrow, 02 August 2017 - 04:36 AM.

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts
  • Interests:Passionate about brumbies, love my family, my dogs, my horses - brumbies! And of course watching my two boys play baseball.

So Ive been pondering your idea and while I don't want to restrict the chat to just handling foals, how about we talk about keeping the tasks interesting for our horses so we are stimulating their try and get the most from them. This is super important for both our young ones and higher level horses.

:cowboy:

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

0403 995 550

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts

I have set up a fb group for the post so just check back in at the appropriate time :) And if you  hearty been added let me know and we will soon fix that!

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

0403 995 550

Shane

Shane

QS Professional

• Admin
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Horses, people, learning, travel.

What's hearty been added, he he gotta love those auto word options :)

Shane Ransley
CEO & Co-founder
Quantum Savvy Horsemanship
enquiries@quantumsavvy.com

Shane's Blog

lunamorrow

lunamorrow
  • Junior
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Horses, friends, family, chocolate and learning.
  • Is a:Level 1 Graduate
Ok. That sounds good, I can't wait. :)

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts

hearty... haven't not much difference lol! :whistling:

See you there 

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

0403 995 550

iggy_denise

iggy_denise
  • Silver Member
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:working equitation, dressage, garraocha, gardening, walking, and being healthy

HI Jen could you talk about the need for speed for the flying change in level 2 as I don't understand why we are not teaching the horse hunches in and shoulder in and getting the horse to work off the hind 1/4 well before doing flying changes. I just don't get it and it doesn't makes no sense to me. I have spoken to a number of people and no one can explain this to me.

Shane

Shane

QS Professional

• Admin
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Horses, people, learning, travel.

Pretty simple answer for a QS prof that one Denise.

Emotional fitness comes before physical fitness in QS horse training.

As it says in the modules there are 2 ways to do flying changes, length of stride and elevation of stride. The length of stride fly will need emotional fitness (level 2) and the elevation of stride (level 3) will take both emotional and physical fitness.

Hind and shoulders in and out is to develop elevation of stride and is in level 3 collection.

Shane Ransley
CEO & Co-founder
Quantum Savvy Horsemanship
enquiries@quantumsavvy.com

Shane's Blog

jillian prince

jillian prince
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 1,323 posts

Hi everyone,

Great topics everyone, and a good topic for the chat. Not sure if we will be on air when its on, if we have wifi ill be there! It will be lunch time in Germany!

Great topic Luna, foals are just delicious aren't they!  We  can be so tempted and keen to get in and get stuff done with them. Have a look at the horse training time line and you will see as much as you need to do right from when the foal is born... We basically let mum do it all! It will def be a good topic of conversation for you and your friend...

Hey Denise, of course, shane is spot on.... With the layering effect of the way we introduce skills to our horse means that we are actually, over time, are developing everything that we need to,  and when the time comes to try fly changes, wether it be with lengthened stride or elevated strides, they are there.  Whilst working with Shane and other horse trainers in Cobar in March this year, when looked at what we would do to help each horse out, and every horse we the things we looked at ultimately helped with developing this. Having just finished L3 and spending time on the Hind Quarter Control homework card, I definitely know that emotional fitness is one of the most important things to develop. Maybe start a post specifically for this post on the forum if you would like to discuss it further and find out more about it, it comes up quite a bit and if it had its own thread for people to follow that could be handy.

Jillian Prince

QS Outback 

Entry Level Instructor, Agent and Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Lachlan Downs Station

COBAR NSW 2835

(02) 68373678

Have faith and have a go!!!!!

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts

Hi Denise, Great comments for Shane and Jill here. Its a question that comes up everyone now and then so I think as Jill suggested it would make an awesome topic of its own on the forum as a reference for future students. Then the next time someone such as yourself is looking for answers other students can direct you to a fantastic answer that they may have struggled with. 

And as Jill mentioned Luna, lets let babies be babies. Overhanding can become far more of an issue than under handling our beautiful youngsters!

See you on the 15th!

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

0403 995 550

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts

Thanks to everyone for joining us for our Chat tonight. It was fantastic to hear everyone's experiences and thoughts.

Attached File  Aug Student Chat.pdf   106.79KB   4 downloads

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

0403 995 550

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users