Going down in the float

floating

12 replies to this topic

lunamorrow

lunamorrow
  • Junior
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Horses, friends, family, chocolate and learning.
  • Is a:Level 1 Graduate
Hi everyone.

Today my friend and her Dad came to pick Darcy and I up in their float to go on a trail ride. I let Darcy check out the float and asked him in, and he loaded without a problem. We left and as we were driving out of the estate down the hill Darcy started scrambling badly and my friends Dad stopped the car and I jumped out to open the door of the float.

Darcy had slipped and was sitting like a dog in the float. Luckily Darcy was really calm and my friend and her dad ran in. Darcy was still slipping and we had to quickly remove all of the dividers so that he didn't get his head caught.

After all of the dividers were out Darcy was laying on the floor, but we were able to pull Darcy's front leg out from underneath him so that he could stand up.

After a few seconds he stood up and stood there very calmly. I backed him out and walked him around and he was ok (except for a poopy bum).

After that I walked him home and loaded him in and out of out float to make sure he was ok with the float. When I let him go into his paddock he went and rolled straight away, and could get up and down without a problem.

--------------------------------------------------

My question is about why he went down. We think his back legs slipped out from underneath him and that is how he came to be sitting, but I don't know why he lost his balance. He has never done anything like this before and my friends Dad knows how to tow a float and was going very slow. I find it very strange as well because Darcy goes up and down that hill in our float nearly every weekend. Darcy has also been in lots of different floats with and without electric brakes and with different floors and dividers without a problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I also just want to add that I am very great full to QS. If we hadn't have been part of QS, I would have most likely tied Darcy's leadrope up in the float (which could have been devastating) and Darcy would most likely not have been as calm as he was.

Thank you

Edited by lunamorrow, 05 August 2017 - 03:10 AM.

jillian prince

jillian prince
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 1,323 posts

Well, first of well done on thinking through the situation and coming out the other end with everything ok....

Sometimes things just happen, and its what we do, in that instant, that first reaction, that determines the outcome. I think that really you may never find the answer to why he slipped, he could have had manure under his hoof, or grass, their could have been a detergent or something on the floor of the float, and the list could go on... whats important is what you do when things don't go to plan...

So well done on helping Darcy come through the situation with out panicking, a testament to the skills you have learnt, the relationship and confidence that you have developed and built with him. 

Jillian Prince

QS Outback 

Entry Level Instructor, Agent and Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Lachlan Downs Station

COBAR NSW 2835

(02) 68373678

Have faith and have a go!!!!!

Alexia

Alexia
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 1,317 posts
  • Is a:Level 2 Graduate
  • Local:ELI
Hear hear to what Jill said. Well done for preparing yourself and your horse well enough to keep your heads when things do you go as planned.
Alexia

Entry Level Instructor, Quantum Savvy Surrey, UK
Group Organiser: The Horsley Hoofers, Surrey, UK

lunamorrow

lunamorrow
  • Junior
  • 86 posts
Thank you Jill and Alexia.

We think it was some poo, but what matters is that Darcy is ok. Thank you for your feedback.

I'm going to get Darcy's chiropractor out to give him a loosen up soon, because Darcy is a bit tight on his left slide after his little wipeout!

sassy

sassy
  • Module 3
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Kids, family, horses and travel.

Hi Luna,

That sounds like an awfully scary scenario!  This is my worst nightmare with Red especially since he has started scrambling.  It's good to hear that although Darcy was completely on the floor, that he managed to still get up relatively uninjured.  Sounds like you handled the situation incredibly well Luna!  I hope Darcy gets some relief from the chiro.

Sarah

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts
  • Interests:Passionate about brumbies, love my family, my dogs, my horses - brumbies! And of course watching my two boys play baseball.
  • Local:Agent

Fabulous advice from Jill on this one :)

sml_gallery_843_342_1011331.jpg

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

https://www.facebook.com/QSGeelong/

0403 995 550

lunamorrow

lunamorrow
  • Junior
  • 86 posts
Hi everyone. I just thought I'd put up an update. The chiro came and gave Darcy a treatment, and Darcy seems a lot more comfortable now.

This past weekend Darcy was floated around by 2 of my friends parents in their 2 floats. By observing when Darcy lost his footing we were able to figure out that Darcy was stumbling when he turned his head to look around, because he loves to look out the back and out of the side window. This puts him off balance because he is off centre and uses the side of the float or the divider to support himself. Because he is very small he has about 20-30cm of space in front or behind him and 10-20cm of space to his side. So when he looks around he leaves a big gap around him. Then if we go around a corner or over a bump his legs slide out towards the direction he is looking and he stumbles around.

We tried tying up his head long enough that he could move it a bit, but short enough that he couldn't turn his head around and it worked! Any other suggestions on how to keep him only looking forward would be great (hay doesn't work).

Thank you

Shane

Shane

QS Professional

• Admin
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Horses, people, learning, travel.

Glad it was that easy. I have the same trouble if I turn around while going forward.

Shane Ransley
CEO & Co-founder
Quantum Savvy Horsemanship
enquiries@quantumsavvy.com

Shane's Blog

Fiona

Fiona
  • Horse Trainer
  • 549 posts
  • Is a:Level 3 Graduate

Great discovery Luna.  I think you have a good strategy for moving forward, and as Darcy's floating confidence grows he will be less likely to need to check behind him.    Well done for working through this!

Fiona Prescott                                 

QS Professional

Sunshine Coast & Fraser Coast Queensland

• Agent
  • Entry Level Instructor
  • Grade 1 Horse Trainer
  • Level 3 Graduate

Fiona and Coolie

brumbygirls

brumbygirls
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 2,447 posts
  • Interests:Passionate about brumbies, love my family, my dogs, my horses - brumbies! And of course watching my two boys play baseball.

Well done Luna for persevering and looking into this further and finding yourself a solution!

sml_gallery_843_342_1011331.jpg

Jen Renouf

QS Agent

Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Level 3 Student

Quantum Savvy Geelong

https://www.facebook.com/QSGeelong/

0403 995 550

elise

elise
  • Horse Trainer
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:my family and horses
Great discovery Luna and great advice from Jill!
Elise Linkins Northern Rivers Agent Entry Level Intructor 597 Bryants Lane, Murwillumbah, NSW P:0401798584 E:qsnorthernrivers@gmail.com FB: QSNorthernRivers

lunamorrow

lunamorrow
  • Junior
  • 86 posts
Thank you Everyone. I will keep you posted on how he goes each time we move him around. Fingers crossed he gets his confidence back and doesn't scramble anymore. :D

jillian prince

jillian prince
  • Young Horse Trainer
  • 1,323 posts

:clapping: Great discovery Luna!

Jillian Prince

QS Outback 

Entry Level Instructor, Agent and Grade 1 Horse Trainer

Lachlan Downs Station

COBAR NSW 2835

(02) 68373678

Have faith and have a go!!!!!