• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
LunaMorrow

No feedback or engagement

Hi everyone.

I've just got a question I've been pondering for a few months and I still need some help to answer it.

I have a friend and her mare is really irresponsive to any kind of offer or phase. I've had a play around with the mare when she was over at my house with my friend. I tried some no yield on her, she was a bit concerned about my stick and string, but was good after a few minutes.

So I tried some basic yields with her and some short range circles. I got a tiny try of hindquarter and forequarter but I had to run through my phases a few times for anything (so it doesn't count as a try in the end). When I tried some circles with her I found that she has absolutely no understanding of personal space. When she came into my space I asked her out again with some energy and had no response from her, so I went through my phases with a nice big and visual phase four but she still didn't get out of my space! I tried for a while longer and I pretty much had to phase four right on top of her poll to get her to just lean out a little.

So basically, how can I help my friend to show her mare the good deal and release if the mare isn't responsive at all to any kind of offer or phase. She just totally shuts off and shuts me or my friend out.

**please note that my friend looked into QS but her family can't afford it**

Thanks in advance.

Hi Luna

This is a tricky situation as you are neither an instructor nor a trainer. It sounds as though the mare is quite shut down and the only way you can really help your friend is to persuade her to follow the programme.  There is no quick fix. I understand that her family might be reluctant to pay but surely their daughter's safety and happiness is worth something.

If your friend would like to follow the programme, she could at least give it a go for the free month and, if she uses the whole programme she could get some real help in that month that might show her and her family that it is worth the subscription.  She could have a go at the homework cards and even get a couple of assignments in for some feedback.  She would have access to the forum to ask all her questions..... She could even ask for an extra month's subscription for Christmas if she likes it. It depends how important it is to her.

You can't do it for her but you can encourage her to give it a go...

Thanks Alexia.

It's a bit tricky. I'll see if I can persuade her a little when she gets back from her holiday.

Yes, good options Alexia.

Re the mare, just sounds like she hasn't figured out the pattern of offering first then phases are coming. She will after more homework cards. Some horses just get used to being told what to do and get mentally lazy.

Hi Shane. Yes, I think that's what is happening.

I've talked with my friend and she is thinking about it. She really wants to do it but isn't sure if she will have time as she is going into year 12. Fingers crossed she joins! :)

Hi Luna,

We are having a come and try day in February at Cooroy Grounds.  Maybe you can invite your friend to come along with her horse and have a go, maybe mum and dad can come watch too.  It might help them realise that they need help to keep safe and I would be on hand to talk to them all.

Giving the pony a consistent message as Shane mentioned will help, and the owner really needs to learn how to do that.  I am sure the personal space issue is there when she rides as well, so maybe helping her see the connection between the ground and ridden.  

Feel free to pass on my details if they want to chat to me, but hopefully we will see them in Feb.