• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
LunaMorrow

Laterally Soft

For work experience at school, I went to work at a riding camp for kids for a week of the holidays. I'll just say that it cemented my beliefs of how most people ride and that I never want to go back to that!

I have had a pondering from it however. I rode a lovely mare called Rhona one day and as she walked her head went side to side, rather than up and down like all of the other horses there. I recall from one of Meredith's talks, that we should aim for our horses heads to go side to side as this means that they are laterally soft and flexed through the ribs as they walk.

So does that mean that this mare was laterally soft even as a trail horse riding straight lines all the time? Or does her head just happen to go side to side even though she is stiff as a stick? Basically, can a horses head and body portray 2 different stories?

Hey Luna,

I understand your view point and recent experience at the riding camp, it definitely helps us to be committed to our own studies and know without a doubt that we much prefer what we are doing with Quantum Savvy.

What a great observation you have made regarding lateral softness, I am not an expert in body work or anatomy, however I do believe that horses as well as humans can isolate body parts and move them independently, it may be a habit that Rhona has created for herself to give herself some comfort. Look forward to hearing thoughts from some of our higher level horse trainers.

This is a great question Luna :)