• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What the??  when my horse pees in the float, she a mare, any ideas on why in the float...

This is not going to help you any Simone... but my mare used to as well. Interested to know why as well. 

I was wondering about this the other day actually as I've always thought that horses pee when they are relaxed...it seems they pee when they are anxious too.

It's quite sensible really - like us having a pee before setting off on a journey.  just not convinced horses think like that.

Interesting...we have an retired horse at our stable and after some time of acclimasation he was supposed to join our herd a few weeks ago, but he was so stressed with the situation that he also peed a lot, poor guy. like dogs or cats when they are anxious, so like Alexia said it could also be an anxious/stressed thing...though I don't suppose it's that with a QS horse...? Maybe she was really just relaxed? curious to hear some answers :)

Her bladder was full.

;)

I hoping it was more mystical, she has done this a few times I wonder why she holds her pee till she is loaded in the float. 

Bindi had plenty of time to go before beening loaded ,she will poo before she loads  ,,,,If only they could talk..... HEY....

Only horse owners would think this was interesting lol -   Pulling out all the rubber matting is not a fun job!

It's strange that she would choose to pee on the float. Most horses prefer to choose a surface where there will be no 'splashback'! :blink:  Hence peeing on their hay!

Sometime when you gotta go, you just gotta go! 

Rors prefers not to pee when on the float (Im sure she holds on for as long as she can...) but if she has to she will.

Yeah...I'm with Meredith and Jen on this...when they have to wee...they have to wee lol! :)

I just thought I'd add an observation of mine.

Darcy and Khmari are in a dirt yard with plenty of hay in nets overnight to rest my paddocks, and when I go down in the morning to left them out they will go straight to their pee spot and both go. Then they will go graze or do whatever they like (usually rolling and getting dirty). So I think they have learnt to hold it until I come down in the morning, so that they don't have to deal with splashback.

Here's a thought?? dose a horse have   wee  or poo face ; example,  we are riding along and our horse is trying to tell us he or she has to go .

Its all about reading  our horses  and understanding them so if they could talk we could take the time to consider there needs. Sound crazy but maybe some one has observed something.:D

Interesting Jen, I have noticed the wild horses seem to rather going in one spot and the handled or domestic horses that have to live in small areas don't seem to care.

14 hours ago, Bindibo said:

Here's a thought?? dose a horse have   wee  or poo face ; example,  we are riding along and our horse is trying to tell us he or she has to go .

Its all about reading  our horses  and understanding them so if they could talk we could take the time to consider there needs. Sound crazy but maybe some one has observed something.:D

My horse has a poo face...and grunts at the same time! :lol:

Bahhha hhhaaaa!

i have never thought about it at all... Im always glad they haven't undone their rope and its not he floor when they do pee..

We always have such long distances to travel so it a common thing for me. I have drain holes at the front .. 

You crack me up Simone... Im sure they know they are going to be going somewhere, after all they are our clever ponies, but I have never had one of mine say, (pull back on the lead)" Im not going forward one more step toward that float,  until I have this pea! Not before I go on that float for the next however many hours.... Who knows how bloody long Ill be on there"!

Hi Jill 

Bindi will do a little semi stop (half halt) most time going in to the float which I seem to know, she is going to plop before walking all the way in I quite like  the understanding because I've heard her and listen to her body lingo , I must check again if she dose give me a face because she dose with everything else.   Who wants to stand in their own plop. :rolleyes:

Diesel does.....he seems to think it's his own personal 'convenience'.  Not sure if he's just relaxed or just not plussed.

We do use wood shavings though.  Stops it getting slippery, keeps if fresher and more cool.

;)

Yep, shavings for long distances is a great idea!

Yes Shane the wild horses are very much habitual and territorial in marking their spot. Its part of the reason they get in so much trouble in the Kosi as there stallion piles along the highway marking their territory and they always go in the same spot so to the uninformed it makes it look like there's way more poo than there really is!  

Every morning Rors will pee when I let them all out into the grazing paddock... even thought their night paddock is still a decent size,  & Jett always poos in the same spots. The others go wherever they please... including in my float! I think a lot of it has to do with their dominance and the pecking order of the herd. 

If they are pausing and pooing before going on the float ramp its a pretty good sign that your horse still isn't totally comfortable with the idea of being in there. 

Hey  Jen

she just politely has a poo and then loads fine its  the communication and understanding she needs to do this 1st,  I've given her my ear and I'm listening. Not wanting to rush rush so we  can get somewhere in the float making the experience so much nicer, it dose make closing the ramp a lot easier with no poo wedge in .:D