• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Windnwillow

Not wanting to be caught

Hi everyone,

My mare willow who I have made millions of mistakes with over the years and she dosnt forgive very easily being a sensitive type. Was hard to catch after a bad saddle fit and bad riding advice early on years ago - but I fixed the catching problem to an extent but since then when I enter the paddock and go to catch any horse or her - she will start pacing and weaving around until i approach her - it’s like she knows that even a 10 acre paddock won’t stop me from catching her :( as I persist until I at least get a sniff Or pat. 

if she is in a small space - arena or round yard she does everything nice can approach her at liberty etc.. but in a paddock with more space she will leave - she will only come in when all the other horses have stopped running with her and are focusing on me when I do the approach and retreat technique. 

I think it’s a rapport issue but only recently have I realised that it can be to do with a leadership thing too :(  She is a bossy mare in the paddock and very athletic- it’s hard as when I approach I have to be so careful not to coming in with too much energy and not tip toeing in and making myself seem sketchy. 

Anyhoo I’m sure as I go through the levels I will get some more answers uand but just had this today and it was disheartening 

Oohhhhhh great topic! Cant wait to hear the replies....

Bless don't feel bad... at least your now aware. I feel the worst when I have lightbulb moments and realise things like this too.... 

The beauty is that now you know you can work on it..... You know you guys are partners for a reason! You guys have each other to help each other out! 

Maybe now that your aware you will look at things a little differently,  approach her with a different mind set and view... And, well,l she may take a bit of time to give you the benefit of the doubt, but hey, thats the beauty of being a horsewoman... it doesn't matter, it takes as long as it takes.... 

Hey Claire, 

Been there as well its like a huge insult to us,  I just keep beening the biggest carrot in the paddock  and now with the approach I have the biggest smile and chat away to her(eg like how good she looking today)   Bindi is standing still now ready to sniff which ever tool I have (even a carrot is a tool) this has been one of our biggest challenges , I have big open paddock so chasing was not working out with us, I think the more practice and homework we get though the better our friendship grows (reason to smile),  Fiona told me, was to keep the horse moving in the same direction and you chose when to stop (using your stick as body extension ) when you have a couple of horses the ones your not focus on will  the drop back and then its just you and her then you have to taken the lead ship  for her,  I always have a focus stopping point as well. Keep yielding the hind .HAVE FUN..... 

Thanks guys - she will allow me to approach after I did some work a couple of years ago on the approach and retreat method using first a motor bike ( as it took me an hr or more to catch her sometimes and I was taught that u don’t leave the paddock until u have at least given them a pat) ?  and then just my lead rope to create energy to yield her HQ but now she still seems edgy when I have a lead rope in my hands entering the paddock. All the other horses are cool but she go and stirs them up and try’s to take them away with her and they now don’t go but just isn’t improving so I felt like she was showing me her hind when she did this so I tried to make it uncomfortable for her to turn away from me with energy when she turned away and release when she HQ yeilded to me.

i will see what we have today? Lol 

So from this - there’s a few holes in my level one with her that I picked up so will see if it improves plus just changing my though patterns when going out there too :( 

Yeah...you're right Clare.  It is a balance of rapport and leadership.  Sounds like she is a bit of a leader herself, so she may not relinquish that role so easily if ever.  The better your leadership, the more respectful she'll be when you go to catch her.  The better your skills, the easier it will be to show her that you can catch her: that you can out think and out manoeuver her.  The better you rapport the easier it'll be to connect and let her know that being with you is a good thing.  But dond't forget the E!  Enjoyment.  The more she enjoys your company (especially with a boss horse) the more she'll not just let you catch her, but the more she'll eagerly come to meet you.

:)

Absolutely Claire, ditto to everything Meredith has said, the E is sooooo important! I have a dominant mare too so I totally understand ;) 

The other thing you may just want to double check is your body position if you're doing everything else right.. 

If I start having trouble with my approach again I revisit Shane's approach video with Hope and see if Ive missed something.

Here is the link if you'd like to take a look

http://www.quantumsavvy.com/board/index.php?/topic/9528-hopes-first-approach/&tab=comments#comment-108860