• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
chrissie_04

Saddle Care & Storage

Hi, I'm Just after some advice on how best to look after, care/clean and store my QS saddle. 

Ive never had a saddle brand New before and unfortunately I missed the horse wellness day when Peter Vellacott gave his talk. Did he happen to give any advice on what products are best for the leather to keep it clean, and help prevent any major defects or how best to treat the leather (frequency etc) 

Also did he mention the ideal way to store the saddle, ie saddle racks Vs stands. I had messaged him about sending me a picture/details of saddle stands he makes but I haven't heard anything - hoping he may have mentioned these during his decision. 

Im loving and enjoying my QS saddle so much, I just want to make sure I take of it the best possible way I can. 

Thank you in advance 

Chrissie

hi Chrissie 

I brought a saddle rack from saddle world which is for western type saddle around $140 with wheels and keep a towel over the top.

Tying to remember if Peter said the saddle only needs light oil every 6

months please correct me anyone if I'm wrong, he didn't put a huge emphasize  on oiling the saddles more on how we treat the saddles and get cracking and use them. 

Hi Chrissie

How nice is it to have a new saddle! I just store mine on a wooden towel stand (you can pick them up at the opp shop) but it does have pride of place in my bedroom :) and cover it to keep the dust off.

i saddle soap mine probably every 6 months to really clean and condition it, but I also use saddle conditioner every now and then just to wipe the dust off and keep it clean. I don't personally use oil as I don't like the way it changes the leather and it can stretch the leather over time. Better to use a leather conditioner or saddle soap if you don't mind using some elbow grease :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your advice guys, I to will be keeping my saddle pride of place. Tye has made some awesome saddle racks for us to store ours on inside... in our office. Where I can oggle at it from the dining room haha.