• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yogi

Yawning

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on horses yawning? 

Yogi seems to yawn A LOT! I know a lick and a chew and a yawn can all mean “processing” when we’re working with our horses. Yogi does this. But the yawn comes out a lot more than any other horse I’ve seen. 

Not only does he do it when I’m working with him, he does it when he’s chilling in the paddock. 

I’ve had his teeth done which I though may have help but it’s still happening a lot. 

Any ideas on why? 

Thanks! 

Hi there Sophie,

I have no answer but I did goggle there were answers...

when we are at home chilling and my black mare will hang with us in the sun and the other half will do fake yawns at her and she seem to join in the yawning game. Quite funny to see them respond to the good old yawn I know I enjoy a good yawning it dose feel good with a stretch..:lol:

I thought it was releasing too Jill but I’m finding he’s doing it way too often. And wouldn’t say he is too stressed grazing in his paddock to have to release so much. He does it a bit when I’m working with him also which I can put down to releasing but then when we’re just chilling he will continue to do it like a habit more than anything. Maybe he does just hold a lot of tension and always needs to release. He is one of a kind. 

Pol out? Does he suck on posts? 

Spyder used to lick and chew while going along but he wasn’t the bravest of horses.

Yawning in general is for oxygen increase.  Not sure how this applies to Yogi though.  How long has he been doing it Sophie?  I can't say I noticed excessive yawning when he was here in May.......hmmmm......

Short of releasing, , boredom, chilling out, something stuck in his gums, I can only think that he has a lot on his mind (growing / learning etc) or as Shane said, his pole maybe out or some pain somewhere.?????  How is he otherwise?

:)

Hi Meredith. He’s been doing it more so the last few months and that why I got he’s teeth done thinking that might slow it down a bit but it didn’t change I don’t think. And before this he tends to do it on and off ever since I’ve had him. Maybe it has got a bit to do with boredom cause I also haven’t been doing a whole lot with him the last few months. So to answer your question on how he’s going.. good considering I have been a bit slack.  I might get Tork out to check his pole just to rule out another factor. 

Interesting one Sophie.  Yes for sure get Tork out.  It certainly won't hurt to get peace of mind at least.

Keep us posted.

:)

Hi Sophie, yes it’s certainly noticeable lately and as you say quite hard to pin point what it is.

How has it been lately? Any improvement? 

Keep us posted if you find anything. 

Heya! How are you getting on now?

A lot of yawning could also be a sign that they're worried about something. It's strange as it can be a sign of release as well. But excessive yawning has shown in research, that it was coincidental with the stress hormone (cortisol) increasing in the blood...again, the yawning itself could then be a sign of this stress releasing as well. 

In QS terms that doesn't mean that you have to stop doing what you're doing, but might give you a clue on to what you're asking of him, could be mentally and/ or emotionally a bit challenging. Helping him through that would eventually reduce the stress and help him grow more confident.

A medical thing that excessive yawning is related to, are stomach ulcers. If you're just giving good forage, then that's probably not possible. But if your horse is an ex race horse for example, that had a lot of hard feeds and stress in the past, then it might be something to look into. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

;)

Hey. I haven’t noticed yogi yawning as much just chilling in the paddock since I month or so after I had his teeth done. So maybe the yawning after the teeth had been done was just him thinking it was still irritating and has since realised the problem is gone. 

I haven’t done much with him lately so as far as actually knowing how he’s going with his yawning during work, I can’t comment. But yes, I ageee with the sign of relief thing. He definitely does this when I’m working with him. 

So, I guess I’ll get back into things and see how it is then. 

Oooohhh Yes, that could defiantly have been it... and causing all the issues discussed, poll out, stress,  and because you've done so much with him to help him emotionally he is yawning to release the stress no days rather than do these ones :taz:... 

The further you go through the program, and esp where he is at he will be wanting to pick himself up through his core. If his teeth are out of alignment then they would be blocking him and causing discomfort. 

Hopefully you found the root of the problem!