• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
sarah_c

Proud flesh

G'day everyone,

I need some advice around what to put on proud flesh.  Red got his leg stuck in fence wire nearly 4 weeks ago.  It subsequently got infected and he needed 9 days worth of Penicillin injections.  He is well again now (still tender on the leg)  but the wound has come to a standstill.  The deepest part of the laceration is now sitting out quite proud (hypergranulation tissue).  I have tried Yellow lotion, Manuka Honey and silver dressings.  Silver is really good for humans with the same issue but it's not working for Red.  Another vet suggested to me today to try Copper Sulphate.  He said mix about a teaspoon of Copper sulphate with a teaspoon of Vaseline and apply.  He said be careful as it can be damaging to the good skin.  I have used this mix on a horses hoof with separation in the wall but I've never used it on a wound.  Has anyone else?  Or has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Sarah

20180724_094535[1].jpg

20180724_094652[1].jpg

Hi Sarah

To me the wound looks pretty good (not that I’m an expert) I’d say you are doing a good job with the treatment so be patient and just keep going what you’re doing. It doesn’t look inflamed or infected. I’d keep using the Manuka honey and yes I’d be nervous about the copper sulphate on skin. It takes at least 6 weeks for wounds to heal so I think you’re on track. Otherwise just ask your vet what he/she thinks. 

Thanks Jen. Yes you're right it's not infected anymore & most of it is healing well other than that section of proud flesh which sticks out about 1.5cm. It won't heal until that section of tissue gets back to the level of the surrounding skin. It was a vet that suggested copper sulphate. Just wanted to see if anyone else has used it :confused1:

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear that Red has hurt himself.

I personally wouldn't use the copper sulphate on skin either, because its rather toxic (they don't use it on humans because of this) and while it might get rid off the proud flesh, it will probably still make some form of contact with the healthy skin, which would then send the healing backwards a few steps.

You could try some other products on the market for proud flesh like: proud aid or debrisol wound spray (and many, many more) but if these don't work the next best step might be to ask your vet for a debridement of the wound, which will basically take off all of the proud flesh under a standing anaesthetic and let that area heal properly. 

I hope this helps a bit :) 

Is it wet or dry?

it looks dry to me.  If it were my horse i would make a gel using aloe vera gel and selected essential oils including lavender oil.  Very good for getting rid of proud flesh.

i would also be offering peppermint oil and if selected add that to the gel.  If it were infected id add Thyme oil.

If it were wet, i would mix some oils into dry green clay and dust that onto any wet bits.  Just plain green clay on its own is fantastic on wounds and open, wet sores.

its what they would do in the wild, roll in some dirt to protect the wound from flies and stop bleeding, a natural plaster.

Offer some oils and see what your horse says :D

Good luck x

Bloke answer coming.

Try not to clean it to much, purple spray and let it dry out so it can shrink. The quicker it dries out, the better the chance of no lump left there.

My horse ripped his leg open a few years ago and ended up on 10 weeks box rest due to the location of the wound. When he was finally allowed out there was still a lot of proud flesh but I treated it with silver spray every day....nothing else. For a while nothing changed and at one point it actually started to look worse. Just as I was about to call the vet out again it literally disappeared overnight....I actually thought it had been knocked off it was that flat...except the silver spray was still there. It took a few weeks but healed in it's own time.

So from experience I would be inclined not to fuss over it too much.

Edited by rebecca_s

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions here.   Tracy, it's a wet wound. Green clay sounds very promising but I can't actually find it anywhere to buy (Australia) any ideas?    Luna, interestingly enough Proud Aid actually contains copper sulphate but they say that in the formulation they have made that it won't damage surrounding skin if you accidentally get it on good skin.  Anyway I had a few people at Sandale recommend Proud-Aid so I'm giving that a try.  Will post back with some photos if I get some good results.  Otherwise a couple of other options here from this thread for me to try.   Thanks again everyone.

I found this one in Australia. 

https://www.healthandhappiness.com.au/online-shop/earthsgarden-diy-raw-ingredients/mineral-clay/australian-green-clay-detail

There are some recipe ideas at the bottom of the page however I would either use it on its own or offer the bottle of lavender essential oil (buy top quality from reputable brand) and if your horse responds positively by smelling it, lifting his top lip, yawning, licking and chewing, walking away and returning to it is also a positive response so do take your time and allow this to happen. 

Buy a kilo of clay and make a mix of 100gms clay to 10 drops of selected oil and mix as you would flour and butter by rubbing it in then when ready, using gloves, put it all over the bare flesh and cover it. The clay will stick where it is supposed to and just keep reapplying every day. 

It will be absorbed into the body, some will drop off and some will sit on the skin, just keep putting it on. Your horse will enjoy the effects I am sure.  It is protective, healing and cooling. It can be put on wet however it can pull the skin as it dries out so see how you go with applying dry. 

The oils I commonly mix into clay are Yarrow (inky blue in colour) for open wounds and fresh cuts. 

Thyme for infected tissue or to prevent infection

Orange for itchy skin

Lavender for healing and proud flesh

German chamomile (inky blue in colour) for allergies

I would ask the horse which oils it wanted,  looking for positive responses and make it as above and it can be used on its own too.  It is amazing stuff and I use it effectively all the time, every first aid kit needs green clay :)

Keep us posted

Tracy xx

Oh,  and don't wash it off either as you will wash off any healed skin cells so leave well alone, trust it is working and keep putting it on, you will have beautiful skin in no time at all x

Hi Sarah....yes reading your post my first thought was copper..  I've certainly used it and recommend it.  Nothing really that scary about copper.....not what people generally think anyway.  I love that your vet recommended it.  In vasline sounds perfect.

If you're not sure, get a copy of Pat Colbys book Natural Horse Care.  She talks about how to use / apply copper for proud flesh.

Good luck....Red will be fine.

:)

Thanks Tracy for all that info, really interesting stuff.

Thanks Meredith too - good to know you've used Copper.  I've heard about that book of Pat Colby's from other threads, so I must look out for a copy.

Hi Sarah.

I have a copy I can lend you at the next practice day? But if you want to buy it, I know they often have it stocked at the Sunshine Coast Saddlery in Cooroy, but if they don't have it in stock they can order it in for you.

That would be great Luna, thanks :)

Ok, cool. Glad I can help out. I'll make sure to bring it on the 12th.