• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
jack-stokers

Natural Worming

Resistance to antibiotics is a huge problem not only in relation to worms but other bugs as well due to the overuse of these drugs - so I lean towards alternatives, diet and FEC to reduce my horses worm burden. 

The article states the trial of BioWorma has been over 20 years with rigorous testing to be safe and is best when used in a rotational grazing system...so could be another tool in combination to the approach of our horses health care and pasture managment.

I don´t think we´ll be able to get this in Europe, but I agree with the rotating grazing system (like equicentral system) to help against worms. It´s supposed to be really helping to graze horses with cattle and sheep as well, as they kill each others worms/ eggs apparently.

I have been using diatomaceous earth for a number of years now with great success.  The only downside is that it must go into a wet feed.

It has many other health benefits too.

Yes Tracy!! I must really try DE one day...xx

Yes Carola you must :clap:

Interesting topic, thanks jack for sharing the article. Always interesting to read new concepts. 

Check their copper intake.  Pat Coleby has good info on this.

:)

Good question Jill! I have bought DE via Tracey now too, but already had worms to get rid of with Chiara. But how much to give to keep them away, rather than getting rid of them??

Meredith...yes, thinking about it! When I lived in the New Forest, I was giving minerals according to the Pat Coleby diet and never had any worm problems.

Kaylib is back on this (a few adjustments based on needs), and he is generally much better and worm egg count came back as 0. Overall strong immune system is important I think. 

Now another thing re worms.....

Chiara has always had a high worm egg count and was near impossible to worm because of being twitchy and head shy. Now she had such an extremely high count, that I started to do a lot more research on it. Turned out that horses can get severe head aches from the chemicals that worms produce through pooing in the horses´guts. 

Group member Sam, who is a nurse, managed to be super quick with the wormer (together with the DE that I´m giving) and Chiara is now on worm egg count 0! And guess what?! She´s keeping her head low much more and is much more approachable than before...a real change in behaviour! Interesting :smartass:. Coudl be coincidence of course lol!

xx

Oh cool guys, interesting topic! I must admit I havn´t thought much about alternatives to the chemical treatments before, so definitely time to do it now!

Carola, do you regularly send poo samples (haha sorry, I don´t know how to better describe it :lol:) to the vet for a worm egg count? Or was it because of acute issues of your horses? I´m just pondering...maybe it´s something I should also consider...just to get it checked now and then...?

Thanks for this topic, it´s always great to also learn more about those things to help our horses having a good life :) Will have a deeper look into it now. Love this community,wohoo!!

This is a really interesting topic. I use a herbal wormer from my local animal nutrition store. I've had something similar before (expect the human version) and it worked well for me, so I know it certainly does work for Darcy and Khmari. 

I'm hoping to shift to doing FECs, instead of just when I feel it needs doing, because I've herd a lot of good things about the system. Namely, that if you don't have to worm then you don't.

We work our way up to 1 tablespoon full a day. Start slowly as you will get detox symptoms if you go too quickly due to parasites dying off releasing crap into your system..

I add mine to my muslie at breakfast and Clive mixes his up in a half pint of water and drinks it before it settles.  We have found that folk find their own 'dose' as every 'body' is different. 

It takes about 10 days or so to get up to dose then you have it every day for 60 days to get the whole worm cycle. I find a three month programme is best to get you into the new routine then you can ease off a bit if you like or carry on a bit every day, it has plenty of health benefits other than being a natural wormer :)

I've had a great experience with using proper minerals to get rid of a worm burden recently. We got a fecal egg count for mums horse rocky about 6 months ago and it came up that he had really high levels of an unusual worm - sorry I can't remember the name. But a usual count for this worm is between 200 - 400 and he had about 2,000 so way too manny (even though we were using rotational grazing). Before the count I had just read Pat Colbys guide to feeding horses and put them on the minerals that she reccomended in the book. Just recently we got another count done and the vet said the levels are now down to 400. Just goes to show how important proper mineral balance is and that you don't always have to use chemical wormers!

I use FECs too as I believe the chemicals in regular wormers can do as much damage as good.  There are some drawbacks to this system as not all types of worms show up in the FECs.  Verm-X is a herbal product that is supposed to make their insides and unfavourable place for worms to inhabit so I use that.  My horses do very well on it.  

Yes, as always, minerals matter.  Worms won't be a problem if the horse's gut is a healthy environment.

Thanks for the feedback Georgia.  Nice job.

:)

p.s. you all should see the state of our poo pile after we've had lots of people/ horses here.  Some of the poos are so toxic they kill everything so I can't even use it on my garden.  All thanks to the chemicals we put into our horses!