• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
amandal

Hooves & Power tools

Hi All

Just thought I'd share some footage on my ponies being trimmed with a HoofBoss power tool.  Both handled it very well. 

Sonia the bay mare doesn't like it when the bits flick up and  hit her belly so we now lightly wrap  a towel around her belly. 

The big black horse who had farrier/feet anxiety issue doesn't give too hoots.  The hoof man here (Jock) used to study QS so has a lovely way with the horses, so if they do get tense he just backs off and goes back in politely.

Good on you Jock.  Nice to know they're in good hands Amanda.

:)

That little tool looks cool, and make trimming those hard feet a lot easier.  I was thankful for the rain we are getting because I thought its going to be much easier to do feet on the weekend, I wouldnt have to worry if I had that little gadget!

What good ponies though, a real credit to you and your farrier.

With 24 rock hard hooves to do I'm thinking maybe this is not such a bad idea!!!

For many years......a long, long, long time ago.....I used a dremel to do our horses feet.  After watching our dentist do our horses teeth with one.  I thought "brilliant....this'd work fab on feet".

I love the dremel as it is small and gets into all the little places easier and it doesn't take wads of hoof off at once.  Thumbs up.

These days I've got pretty handy with a sander which is much quicker, but for those a but nervous about the bigger power tool, the smaller dremel versions would be perfect.

I'm really keen to give the dremel a go, even though the idea of power tools still makes me nervous :wacko:. Just wondering how hot the hoof gets? Its a fair bit of a cheaper option than the hoof boss at this stage. 

So I bought a dremel... Its obviously the 'soft' option in regards to hooves and power tools. Its great but so slow I went back to my knife and rasp. Although I can see the benefits for really hard summer soles. Maybe I need to go more hard core on the attachment? Will get back to you on that one :)

You can get pretty bitey heads for them Jen (whatever the term is!!!) that should take the sou of pretty quickly.  When I used one I still used the rasp on hoof walls to an extent but the key is to trim often so you don't have a huge job to do.

Having said that, why not a sander?  So much easier and so much quicker.  I've used one for maybe 10 years now on all my horses and the kids ponies.  Never once had an incident but I used to always be taking skin off with the rasp!  I actually feel safer with it as I can use it one handed and don't have to get right under horses who may be a big 'footy' at times.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.