• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Meredith

Brumby Connection Camp 2018

Brumby Junction VBA Headquarters Glenlogie Victoria

It’s day five already and for each of us the feeling of privilege and honour is as strong as ever.  If fact, after having four days to work with these incredible animals I suspect it’s even stronger.  And you could now add in responsibility, duty, awe, anxiety, joy, fear, elation, suspense, and sheer exhilaration, and mix it up with a bit of uncertainty of the future for all these little horses and it makes it almost overwhelming at times.

We all came, from across Oz and the UK, so take part in this amazing event, not really certain what to expect but know that whatever it presented to us, it was going to be amazing. 

To say we’ve learnt a lot so far would be a gross understatement.  To say we’ve all grown not only as horsemen but also as humans would be more to the point.  Working with these beautiful animals who give only the “purest’ of feedback (well put Liv!) is such a unique experience that I know each of us feels very fortunate to be here.

The horses (and humans) have been coming along in various degrees but each of us has learnt so much from each other.  Where else would you get such a phenomenal experience.

Shane as always has been a wealth of knowledge and along with the support we’ve all given each other, it’s been pretty special.

We’ll have more updates toward the end of our time here but for now, here’s a few piccies.

Enjoy.  Oh and if you wish you were here too – yep…you should!   

Mel_Arwen_1.jpg

Mel_Arwen_2.jpg

Mer_Boston_1.jpg

Meri_Boston_2.jpg

Meri_Boston_3.jpg

Edited by Meredith

Nice job everyone.

:)

Only two days left  to go of our 10-day experience and as the cliche goes,  "where has the time gone".  We're all filled with awe at our little horses.  I think we all knew coming into this that we would bond inexorably with our horses, but I don't think any of us were prepared for just how deeply this would effect us.  The try in these Brumbies is heart-melting.  The willingness to trust and bond immense, as even their fear and instinct tells them that it's maybe not a good idea, yet one 'right' move from us has them willing to put instinct aside and give us the benefit of the doubt.  Amazing.

We've learned more about ourselves than it seems possible and we've all had to dig deep......very deep, to prove ourselves worthy of leading our horses from wild, mountain Brumbies to confident partners for their humans.  I for one have felt the enormity of balancing the loss of innocence of my horse with the need to prepare him as much as I can for the transition toward his new domestic life.  But I feel pretty confident that I've managed so far, at least, to keep all of his curiosity, his sense of fun and play and his try.  A mighty responsibility and one I promise I have not taken lightly.  It's a little overwhelming but such an honour.

Here then below are some more pics and hopefully updates from the other trainers.  What a privelege this has been to spend this time with you all.  Thanks Jen.

Shane's very damaged horse Tokay, who on day 1 would much sooner have severally hurt herself than allow a human anywhere near her.  She had sadly already had some experience with a horse trainer and had come back to Brumby Junction in a real mess.  Thankfully she met Shane and is on her way to a whole new and much brighter future.

Tokay_2.jpg

Tokay_1.jpg

Tokay_3.jpg

Wow, I get goosebumps reading and thinking about what an amazing and life changing experience for these horses, having QS prepare them for their world with humans.

Cant wait to follow the journeys of the lucky Brumbys that found QS homes!

What a journey this last 10 days has been! I picked the most unsettled horse in the yard (apart from Shanes horse, but that is a different horse) who was a 3YO mare named Arwyen.  In the first couple of days Arwyen gave me her trust and i felt the weight of responsibility to keep her safe while I show her what all this stuff that humans do is about.

At the start of the week I walked into her yard with no tools to start a conversation with a horse that had lived her life in the wild.

As our communication and confidence grew I gradually introduced another tool to help her understand what it means and how we communicate through it until I finally put the halter on. There was no fear or confusion and Arwyen accepted it just as willingly as she accepted my first touch.

So proud of this girl and I am feeling concerned about what her future holds yet privileged that I have been able to give her an amazing start to her education.

A big thank you to Jen for organising this event, Shane & Meredith for your eternal wisdom and to the VBA for providing such amazing horses for us to work with.

20181203_155431.jpg

20181203_154350.jpg

20181203_155147.jpg

Wow, I told you all didn't I what an extraordinary event this would be. And how these little horses mean so much, I am so proud to have been able to showcase them to everyone and help you all to have a greater understanding of how important your horsemanship skills are in giving these guys a new life. 

Arwen will be well loved Mel, I am sure (she is 6 BTW ;)) which also explains a lot of her initial skepticism.. so even more kudos to you for developing such an amazing relationship with an older mare. But these horses bond so tight once you get underneath the 'wild' and  think those of us that achieved that definitely felt it. 

For me, this was a chance to share the horses I love but I came away with so many extra layers to my horsemanship, thanks to Shane and Meredith for their wisdom and all the great around the table discussion we had. It became very clear to me how important it is to hold onto a horses curiosity and try, not just doing tasks for the sake of getting to that next step. It was a fine line for me to not 'over train' and dull my horse, he would be so easy to 'manipulate'  by the wrong training and I think I did a good job of maintaining his curiosity. He reminded me of the innocence of your kinder kids when they first go to school, there's something that gets taken away in that time that is gone forever. I think that is the loss of innocence that Meredith was eluding to.

I have big future plans to do this event again so stay tuned for that. In the meantime here's a bit of a slideshow Ive been putting together for you all to enjoy :)

#loveabrumby

https://youtu.be/KomhvTMqpqw

wow, what a touching video!

Look who I had a visit with on the weekend.

Boston and Calypso are both looking for their new families.

DSC_0215.jpeg

DSC_0219.jpeg

All three of these guys have been out now on walks in the forest and did well. They are all out for a spell now waiting for their new homes.

Anya and Hunter have also been having some further training and are now in a halter. 

Dallas has been getting up to mischief, she managed to get in with the colts and was found looking like the cat who got the cream... so she had to have a visit with the vet for an injection. :inlove: No need for any extra Brumbies! 

Charlotte is next in for training, and Tokay and our pseudo QS trained horse Fiora are back out with the wild ones loving life. 

DSC_0225.jpegDSC_0228.jpeg

Hi Sue, that is Fiora, she was in the yards for a leg injury while we were training the others. She was very wild but responded very well to the calming influence of everything going on around her.. (she is still wild however...) Yes she is very pretty to look at!

Sounds like an amazing journey to have been on and well done to everyone! In a league of its own I’d say! 

And she handled the drone like a pro!  LOL.

Jen, many thanks for the update.  It is so nice to see these little ones again.  I so loved working with Boston and as you said, it was so important to maintain their try and curiosity.  Easier said than done by the way.  And yep, you did a great job of this.  Human ego could easily take over (and often does I'm afraid).

Our QS Horse Trainers did an incredible job and I know their horsemanship has gone to a whole new level. 

Thank you to all of you.  You make me feel so good about what we are doing and aiming for with QS.

Awww.... :wub:

Thanks for the update!

Shame about the mischief :oops: :excl:

Good to hear the others are all doing well.

I have loved seeing the photos and videos and reading about your experiences.   So inspiring as usual. 

There is more to come Jane.  So get set to be even more inspired!

I was so privileged to be able to share our amazing experiences and journeys with the Australian Brumby Magazine recently when they asked for an article. I've also shared it on my Southern Brumbies blog, but just in case you would like to read it, here 'tis.

https://www.southernbrumbies.com.au/brumby-blog/meet-the-wild-brumby-the-master-of-horsemanship

A great article Jen - well done! It all seems so simple when you read it! ;)

The photos of your brumby family are stunning too.

Shane, have you gone down to continue with Tokay yet? 

Ha! I got my answer on fb! Must have felt it in the air! Safe travels and wishing you a fabulous future together x

I received some feedback last week from Colleen about a couple of our Brumbies. Calypso's owner loves him! He went to a training camp recently and blew the trainer away about his 'wild' heritage and did really well. (That's my boy :wub:

Arwyn was sold to her sponsor in the end. She has Australian riding ponies and her granddaughter is a keen show jumper. After spending $6000 on training for her and the pony they discovered he has kissing spine so rather than spend another $6000 the granddaughter is going to ride Arwyn. They are amazed at her temperament and how chilled about everything she is. She just has a really lovely nature.

Boston is coming home to me for awhile. I'll put some hours into him and see if I can find him a new home so stay tuned.