• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am very new to this wonderful world of QS and somewhat disorganised in my learning (bits and pieces here and there). I love and deeply respect everything I am discovering. I am wondering if QS has a “list” of its Principles as a kind of simple guidelines to always fall back on and be reminded of. Something to pin up on the fridge so to speak :)

Welcome, Carolyn. And congratulations on getting that first post worked out. :)

Yes, we have our R.O.P.E principals. I might need to repost these or do a video, so they are easy to refer to.

Release. Horses learn by release (not pressure)

Options. There should always be an option for the horse to choose.

Program. Teaching the horse should be done in steps so you can always go back a step if you need to make it easier for the horse.

Enjoy. It should be enjoyable for both of you; remember to smile.

Thanks Shane, that’s helpful and I love the simplicity (knowing too that simple and easy aren’t the same thing). 

Welcome Carolyn.  I am so glad you are enjoying your discoveries with QS.  It is terrific to see you here on the Forum....in itself such a wonderful resource of all things horse.

Shane has described our foundation principles beautifully.  Nothing means as much to us as our horses enjoying the journey as much as we do.  I look forward to sharing yours with you.

:)

Shane, I am pondering “options”. I have only just been learning basic groundwork with my local QS teacher (I see her once a month). I was practicing the “request” with my boy Tushka inviting him out on the circle. We changed direction a couple of times which went well. But suddenly he didn’t want to know about it and started pawing the ground. I insisted (probably not in the QS spirit as I’ve got old habits to break). He reluctantly complied. What would be an example of offering him “right options “ in this case?

Also, leading him to another pasture the other day we were walking happily together side by side. Suddenly he turned and bit me (kindly) on the shoulder. It didn’t hurt but is obviously not acceptable. His character could be summed up as “affable thug” (he’s very dominant).  I know we need to work on leadership which I’m in the very early stages of learning. But I’m curious here too what would options look like in this instance where I reckon he needed to be informed this behaviour is not ok. I imagine I will find this answer once I’ve completed Module One but thought to put it out anyway. 

With thanks

Thanks Meredith. I think it’s great that Enjoyment is a Principle. It’s easy to get too serious (for me anyway). 

1 hour ago, CarolynB said:

He reluctantly complied. What would be an example of offering him “right options “ in this case?

Yes, sometimes we have to use phases, but we need to make sure it isn't our first choice by just making them do it through pressure.

I was practicing the “request” with my boy Tushka inviting him out on the circle. We changed direction a couple of times which went well. But suddenly he didn’t want to know about it and started pawing the ground.

Yep, giving direction(lightly) on the lead rope is an option. Try not to do much of the one thing and bore them or they start to take the wrong options.

Also, leading him to another pasture the other day we were walking happily together side by side. Suddenly he turned and bit me (kindly) on the shoulder. It didn’t hurt but is obviously not acceptable. His character could be summed up as “affable thug” (he’s very dominant).  I know we need to work on leadership which I’m in the very early stages of learning. But I’m curious here too what would options look like in this instance where I reckon he needed to be informed this behaviour is not ok.

Coming into your personal space without invitation is not an option. Personal space is the only thing in QS where it isn't optional (for safety reasons). They need to be invited in.

Keep an eye on your personal space as you are walking and keep him away a bit until he is more respectful of your space.

Good questions Carolyn, you will be helping others with your questions. Even if they know the answer it is good to have a reminder sometimes. :smartass:

Thanks so much. One last question:  He is not very responsive to finesse (he came into my life last April as a complete fluke. He’s a great  boy with plenty of bad habits). To declare my personal space when he’s walking near me I tap him with the stick on the shoulder, correct? And how hard is it ok to tap if he doesn’t respond? He’s a beautiful smart boy but very reluctant to do anything that isn’t his choice. I adore him and really want to get it right but it’s easy for me to get frustrated with his dullness and “whatever” attitude. I know it’s all up to me. And I know I will slowly learn all this but these tips are helpful in the immediate as I’m finding my way. 

Big cheers for the feedback. 

Try starting with him a bit further away Carolyn...so if he does start to come into your space you can wave your hand, arm or stick first to let him know he is too close.  If he still keeps coming then he may well run into whatever it is you are waving.  Which he can't blame you for...you gave him fair warning.  In this case he explored his options and rather than choosing to step out of your space, he walked into it which you rightly and fairly defended.

As Shane mentioned, there is nothing 'wrong' with phases but we do need to make sure we are clear with the options first and don't just go straight to pressure which is human nature to do.

If you like, you can download my free book on Release Focus Training which explains a lot more behind the philosophies of QS. (do you have the link Shane?)

Terrific questions Carolyn.  We love questions as we all get to learn.  So ask away anytime you have one pop up.

:)

Excellent Meredith, I get the idea. Unfortunately I am a pressure girl by habit and nature so lots of new learning for me! QS is just what I need. I do have your e book which Shane kindly sent but have only had time to read the first chapter. Life’s a bit scattered presently but I will get to it soon I hope. 

Blessings to you both! So appreciate the guidance. 

Your module one will help with the personal space problem :thumbsup:

Hi Carolyn, 

Pressure  is how i would get things done with Bindi ( steed) , the journey with QS will change your mind set because pressure  dos'nt  work in the long run. You will have soooo many WOW moments working through  the steps and challenges. 

Creating a partnership  thats light and responsive  is  so rewarding and special. 

Hi Carolyn,

It is so awesome to see you really understanding and "unpacking" the QS principles, they are truly awesome and unlike anything else out there.  Being aware is the first step and trying is next, so well done. 

I'm looking forward to hearing how your getting on.

cheers

Fiona