• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
jane_gully

learn from my mistakes

So here I am typing with one hand as my other one hindered by a cast.  I got this injury and a few others from missing some cues from Murphy that she may be sore.  During the saddling procedure I did notice that she was having trouble softening.  We were also aware that she has a tightness in her hind end with picking up her feet which I have been a bit slack lately in relieving it.  She has always been calm and easy to ride.  NOT last Wednesday.   She was easy to catch took the saddle well.  Was a little more impulsive after putting the saddle on but this was not unusual.  She did the best ever over the barrels too.  I had been one rein riding at the walk practicing one rein stops and rein positions.  We were just walking her head was low and ears forward,  she turned to the right at the corner took about two steps and just exploded into something between a buck and deer leap.  Even after I was off she kept going until the next corner.  It was like she had a sudden pinched nerve.  So even though I knew what to look for and saw some indicators that I had seen before and all was well before, it wasn't good enough to just accept it as good enough just because it had been normal for her didn't mean it wasn't still bad and by not being on top of it I got myself in an unsafe situation.  It may be the smallest of signs and when you have a forgiving horse like Murphy it is easy to get complacent and bad things can happen.  I hope this helps someone else to take more notice of the little signs and keep safe out there.  

Oh golly gosh Jane! I,m feeling for you. It must of been quite a shock.That was one very tricky situation for you....but thanks for making us more aware of even the smallest of signs especially with our good boy horses to get them checked out if in any doubt.  

I too had an experience before QS days on my horse Buckles. He was 20 Years young when I bought him. He was a good boy horse and lovely to ride. He had a real rocking horse canter and I loved getting out cantering on him. One day out of the blue I popped him into canter he buck me off. He didn't have a bad bone in his body,so i got him checked and he had what the call wind up syndrome. The muscle would spasm in the action of canter,only one direction in the circle. His only escape for pain was to buck.  The cause for this to happen was for most of his riding days he only used one side of his body. Sadly he was to far gone to reabilitate and was he was getting aged. So I retired him from riding and took great care of him till the day he died.

One of the many things I love about QS is least you will know by following the programme that our horse's will last, by using both sides of there body,carry themselves correctly, (self carriage) good posture,muscle developement where it should be,emotional fitness ect.. at least you know you are doing the very best for Murphy by doing QS with her to help her out. 

Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and Murphy a speedy recovery. 

Big hugs from me

Hi Jane, I hope that you're healing well and quickly and that Murphy is also okay! Take care Jane!

4 hours ago, jane_gully said:

Thankyou Kerry.  If not for QS things may have turned out not so well for Murphy

Absolutely Jane.

Sorry to read this Jane, good point about reading all the signs.  We need to take responsibility for this.

Hope you are back on your feet in no time.

I think we get really good at reading the signs that our horses are not completely ok but don't always back this up in the way we should. A good reminder for everyone!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and that Murphy is ok.

Hey Jane....they do try to tell us how they feel don't they, but sometimes we don't hear them or don't take it seriously enough.  I know you'll soon be back in action and will have learnt heaps from this experience.  We'll help Murphy through this too and get her soft.  I bet she was as shocked as you were!

I hope you're soon on the mend Jane and back in action.  In the meantime you've got plenty of study homework you can do.  ;)

:)

Oh dear Jane, wishing you a speedy recovery.

We are all here to help you along the way when you are healed and ready to tick off those boxes again.

Ohhh bugger Jane..... sucks when the lesson is a hard one. Like Meredith said there is plenty of reading, listening and pondering to be done in our less physical times. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

I have since found Murphy's problem which is a relief as now I  can go about fixing it.  It is affecting her sciatic on the off side hip.  Now we.have matching ailments.

Poor Murphy, glad to hear its treatable. It is interesting you both have issues on the same side. 

Oh good....that is a relief Jane.  Let us know how she goes with it.

:)

All the best Jane and Murphy.  Sciatic pain is not fun is it ~ speedy recovery to you both x

Hows Gully going with this now Jane?