• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi..I'm new to QS and my horse has recently been diagnosed with" mild" kissing spine... do you think this course would be helpful as I need to develop his top line to support his spine.. hoping to get back to riding eventually

Cheers Lisa

Hi Lisa

QS will be great for getting that top-line working and without using old school physical control. But the problem is getting through level one skill-building first. It will be crucial throughout your level one that we get your horse flexing well laterally and lifting that back, and your coach will need to keep an eye on it during your assignments.
I have done quite a bit of work with kissing spine horses. The first thing you will need is the trust of your horse, so they don't blame you when their back pinches because as you strengthen their back, it will pinch sometimes. Just like us going to the physio, except they don't understand we are trying to help them in the beginning.

Keep us posted on how you are going and get some assignments or questions in when you can.

Cheers,

Here is a link to a video ok a horse that has kissing spines in the UK, this horse is level 1 and starting level 2 with his owner Sam.

Here is another  horse who has just recovered from kissing spine surgery and is working on level 2, he does so well we went to Germany to do a demonstration.

Great question Lisa, and welcome to QS!

You have some great students in the Buderim area which is fantastic for practicing together.     It is so nice to hear you are looking for ways to help your new pony, and certainly finding QS is a great start for really being able to understand the importance on naturally building their top line through good physical movement and lateral softness.   Some great advice and examples from Shane there, and as you move along in the program you will build great rapport and develop the softness your fella is going to need into the future to keep him sound and fit.

How lucky is he that he found you!!   

Look forward to meeting you soon!

Thanks Guys... looking forward to learning some new skills and helping my boy back to good health x

Hi Lisa just curious to find out what a kissing spine is and how do know its there. Thanks.

Hi Lisa and welcome to QS.  Thank you for posting your question to the Forum also.  You'll find this a huge and helpful resource throughout your journey with QS.

Your boy sure is lucky to have you helping him with KS.  As Shane said, we've had a fair amount of experience over the years  with this condition, personally myself with my boy Diesel.  As Shane said, building your horse's lateral flexibility and softness will be the best thing you can do, to build his muscle and his core to support that lower back issue.

Again as Shane said, get stuck into your L1 homework....it will start to benefit your boys back straight away.  And then when you get into L2 where there is even more focus on lateral softness and also the beginnings of the Harmony in Motion work (this is fabulous physio in motion for your horse), you'll have even more improvement.  Lateral softness and self carriage are what we work on there which will make a huge difference in supporting his back.

Good luck and please do let us know how you are getting on or if you have any questions.  We LOVE questions.

:)

p.s. Simone, kissing spines in basically a lower back condition that causes pinching of the nerves in varying degrees.  It can be mild or completely debilitating depending on the severity.