• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Bindibo

Ulcers of the eyes

Hi, Bindi has a eye ulcer at present 4 weeks ago the vet pulled out like a cobber peg seed from her eye ball and was treated . Her eye started to weep and swell again a few days ago the vet came again and this time its a ulcer. He came at 3 in the arvo and said he had only done eye ulcers all that day "wow" I said, so Bindi been treat for the ulcer (you can lose the eye from ulcers).

I'm  writing this as a warning of how important it's to check our ponies over and not hesitate to call a vet when you gut tells you something not quite right. He suggested they can because from a few thing one thing that stood out that he said is hay  , stalky crappy hay and it seem to occur around this time of the year.

20200709_125040.jpg

Hi Simone,poor Bindi. I have gone through similar with Ozzie. Back in 2011 was his first Ulcer and yes can be possible to loose their eye,as vet said the layers keep building very quickly like a film hourly trying to heal,so ointment won,t penertrate to heal Ulcer if not got onto quickly. It was ointment and drops at least 4 to 5 times a day to treat ulcer and had to keep the sunlight out as drops dilate the pupil. It has left some scar tissue there as well. Since then I know the signs and have got on to straight away and what I found is as soon as I see any swelling I flush his eye out with water. I have a supply of treatment ointment on hand at all times from vet and give him a dose of Bute and within a day or two back to normal. This has happened a few times over the past years.I find myself wiping his eye with a cotton swab daily at different times of year when needed .Vet did a tear duct flush with the dye and it is still blocked.

Vet told me he must have scar tissue there as it should of flushed through. Not much i can do about it except wipe his eye when weeping,just got to watch for any swelling or when his eye is not fully opened.It's not a daily occurrence all year round. It seems to more be around different times of year that i have keep wiping his eye from weeping. The ulcer he got back in 2011 took 3 weeks as medication ointment wasn't working and vet had to change it to a different type.It was touch and go there for a while as vet said if goes on much longer we,d have to remove his eye. Thank goodness it healed.

Thanks for sharing, wishing Bindi a speedy recovery. 

Ps here is a pic of how I use to keep the daylight out when treating if I had to use the drops to dilate pupil. Just cut up an old bra,lol. Ozzie was a very good patient. 

inbound6287831433005280974.jpg

inbound2693460308103565401.jpg

Hey Kerri ,cool picture did have a bit of a giggle at bra idea .

Vet will be back in a few days time to see how its going , her eye this morning looks a bit happy.  Time well tell, a fair bit of dedication is invested . :wub: 

49 minutes ago, Bindibo said:

Hey Kerri ,cool picture did have a bit of a giggle at bra idea .

Vet will be back in a few days time to see how its going , her eye this morning looks a bit happy.  Time well tell, a fair bit of dedication is invested . :wub: 

:wub::thumbsup:

Poor Bindi, sounds like you were onto it early enough. Cant mess around when it comes to their eyes. Sending loads of healing thoughts and fingers crossed for you Simone.  And a very good reminder to everyone to keep an eye on your horses eyes.

Love the bra idea BTW  Kerri :D

Poor Bindi....I hope she is feeling better now Simone and that her eye will be okay.  Nasty things eye ulcers.

:)

Resized_20200716_094939.jpg

Well,  week 2 of treatment and the ulcer has shrunk by 1/2 good to know persistent  is paying off,  we have to repeat another week of treatment with a change of medications . Hoping so much we come though this with a great result . The quicker you disocover this issue and get treatment the better the result. Ulcer in the eye is  painful condition   for the horse,  don't hesitate in treatment "asap". 

All the best for Bindi and speedy recovery!!! <3 

Poor girl Simone, how is she going now? 

20200724_102133.jpg20200806_122001.jpg

Hi , we are in to week 4, the top picture is last week and second is just now the vet has just left the ucler is shrinking "YEE "very happy. We haven't gone to any extreme vet horse husbandry  (tubes, sowing of the 3rd lid ) all which was freaking me out so its just been drops and gels as often as i can get them in her eye.

Getting the potion in her eye has been easy with the QS foundation's no mucking around just using release and reward .

Thanks girls for your thoughts .

Wishing everyone safe days ahead look after one's self and keep a "eye" on your horse's  .:blink: