• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unlocking the back legs

Hi , Frankie she a bit of a worry wart about alot, and has trouble bringing her back leg on to the tray of the float and comming all the way in ( she tries so hard and has been in twice only yesterday) also with the farrier the back legs are a no go yet. So I'm  asking for advice and guidance to set us up for sucess.

We do small trys with realease and reward, I feel her confidence  is very very poor ?

But she has come a long from a untouchable girl.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bindibo,
Sounds like you are doing well with her - the best way to set your girl up for success with floating is to get her foundations nice and solid.  Getting her more confident with picking up her back feet will certainly help with stepping onto different surfaces.  Have you been working through the Leadership module with her?  Getting all those boxes ticked off and building her confidence with all the yields as well as in going forward is a great start to being able to ask her to happily walk into the float.

Hi Simone,

You are progressing along nicely, and I hear your team of ponies is moving to higher ground - that is further North of course.  So I am sure getting her onto the float is becoming a need really soon.  Your certainly on the right track, and as Mel said, floating and lifting the back feet is connected to all the aspects of the leadership module, so keep ticking away at those homework cards.    Backwards, forward, through, under and over are all going to help with her floating, and getting her to think about lifting those feet confidently. 

What is she doing when asking for lifting those back feet?  kicking or just restless? 

Hey what she doing, i would say back in the day you would call it stubbornness. But i know now its lack of confidence, I encourage her  and we are working through the homework we have forward but could be better , sideways and backwards . "Alas" horse training is right next door now in November .We trucked Frankie and Ruby to Jones St very happy she took my offer to go in it was a sweet moment. With the farrier it was a shuffle but now i just send her sideways back to Leigh and we work on lots of release with even a small lift ,there is no Malice in this mare. I don't  think she every been asked and thats what freaks her out the ask . They are happy little vegemites at there new abode , I'm sad I have always had my herd to wake up to. With leadership and politeness from me, she will give more and more over time.