• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
NHN2005

Picking up the feet

Hi all. I am from the USA and I just love this style of Horsemanship. I have a two year old filly that I recently adobted from a rescue. I do not know anything about her prior to me getting her except she had on a halter that was too small and starting to grow into her skin. It took me an hour to cut it off. I don't believe she has had any handling and is afraid of everything!!! It has taken me months to get her halter trained. Now I'm working on her feet. When I pick up the front ones she starts to act like she wants to lay down. Could that mean she is off balance? What is the best way to get her to relax with the back feet as I need to be able to get her feet trimmed. I have already had one Farrier refuse to trim her feet.

Thanks in advance

Colleen

visit my web site

http://www.naturalhorsenetwork.com

Hi Colleen.....welcome to Quantum Savvy! You'll find lots of support and encouragement here on the Forum from students all over the world.

In lesson one of the programme we take a good look at being able to touch your horse all over and doing things like picking up their feet. So once you get your first pack you'll have lots of info and advice.

In the meantime, lots of rubbing and desensitising around her back end, legs and tail will help. You might want to start with a stick so that you can stay at a safe distance until she gets used to being touched there. Again, the 'hows' and 'whys' are explained in more detail in Lesson Pack one so check that out.

It could well be that she is unbalanced on her back legs. Just doing more of picking up her feet will help her get used to rebalancing. On the Halter Training DVD, Shane goes through some great techniques for balancing young horses on their feet so you might like to take a look at that.

Once again welcome and we look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Thanks Meredith. I have the Halter training video and I'm about to order the first lesson. I like the idea of using the ropes on the back legs :)

Hi Colleen,

Welcome aboard. Good on you for taking the time to care for an animal in need. I'm really enjoying this programme and getting heaps out of it. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as the rest of us.

Regards

Tracey

Hi Colleen; Welcome to QS!!!

Shane has a barefoot trimming video that you can download as a QS member. I would highly recommend it.

I sense that you are a bit anxious about getting her feet trimmed.

Look I am now doing all my horses myself and yes it is not always a textbook job but they are ok and they are ok with me doing it. Practice makes perfect and I need a bit more practice and consistency.

My experience is that Farriers take too much off and quite often the horses are a bit sore on their feet after a full trim. Not much fun.

While you are picking up her feet and cleaning them you could use a rasp and file a bit and then a bit on another leg and so on. This should help to increase your comfort level and hers. Start at the worst spots and work your way to a trim over time. I would suggest that you use a rasp to file rather than trying nippers or a knife to start with.

Make sure that the knife if you use one is sharp as otherwise you risk slipping and cutting yourself or your horse. Many knives are blunt when you purchase them.

I gave my schoolmaster a quick trim just to even things out and I was going to finish him off when we got to our vacation destination. We had a nice run on the beach and guess what - the sole had trimmed itself.

Ergo, if you can get to some sand it may do the job for you and you just need to work on getting the shape started.

Have fun, it sounds like you and your filly are having a wonderful road ahead of you. How exciting :D a young horse that now has a home where she will be respected and she will have someone who cares as her leader. :wink:

All my boys are rescues and I tell you it has been wodnerful and our journey has become so much more fun and so much less stressful since I started QS. I am also now no longer worried sick about my partner who started riding at 68 becasue I know he will continue to learn to lead and to have a horse that he can rely on and vice versa.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this