• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Trace, You are very brave & doing a great job. I have a pony at home who is prone to founder , so i am learning a lot from you & yours. Thanks Tracey & Peter & wonderful pony!, Mog.

wow girls thanks for your support :blush: I'm so lucky QS introduced me to Peter with both their "can do" attitude it is giving me the courage to learn and do things for myself, and the extra support from you guys is just wonderful, it keeps that enthusiasm on fire. :thumbsup:

Tracey you are doing a brilliant job on such an advanced case. Hang in there, you are giving that pony a another chance. Many would cringe at what needed to be done. But you, you get in there and do it, with purpose and consideration and heart.

Peter, never have I followed a thread where a professional has supported a forum member to the degree you have; and where detailed information has been freely offered to assist another person save a horses future.

There should be a 'Gold Thread Award'.

:clapping:

:yinyang: ange

Just read this thread and am amazed at Tracys courage and perserverance and awed at the depth of Peters excellent advice a huge award to you both I think and the wee super star pony .I bet she will give you and your kids such rewards in years to come :clapping:

Thank-you girls. Yes she has proven to be the lovliest pony around the children. She actually relaxes more with them around. It seems she is more comfortable with the 'little people' :) She is a little sick of me, although she doesn't run away, she looks away and raises her head in such a way that I know she is not happy, this is because I am always looking at her feet. I have to make time to give her lots of scratches without picking up her feet..... I hope as she starts to feel better, she will understand that I am trying to make her more comfortable.

G’day Tracey!!!

Now it is me pushing you about things…

But relax these are things you have to think about now so that you have them in place in a month or so…

No it is not primarily about “trimming” as I am sure you are coping with that…

It is about “managing” the big issue here…

First, after you have recovered from the shock of pathology trimming and the “Jenny Craig paddock” you probably need to get a grazing muzzle so you can let the pony out with the other horses for more movement… Does she have a companion in the Jenny Craig paddock???

Next you need to start thinking about muscle therapy both for the flexor muscles on all four legs and for the “Cresty Neck” muscles and the associated muscle groups at the back of the withers and the front of the pelvis…

Fixing the feet may stop the on-going damage to these muscles but it will not “undo” the existing cramping and hardness…

A good massage person or “Bowen” type therapist can do wonderful things for these ponies and just hoping the muscles will change is a sure way to make sure that they don’t…

A good thing is that she will probably improve in comfort so much that she will forgive you for fussing so much with her feet.

A little more about trimming… If you look at the shape of the old event lines you can see that the back of the hoof has been growing about three times faster than the front… We need to trim the back of these hoofs about twice as often as a normal hoof, otherwise the heels will just quickly become as long as they were when you started.

Peter Laidely

www.hoofworksaustralia.com

Thanks so much Peter, You must have read my mind.

No she doesn't have a friend in the "JC" paddock and I was wondering either taking turns with the others to have a day in with her. The round yard is 18m across so enough room for another to be in there with her. I was also looking at what I would need to fence part of the 'bigger' paddock to stop her getting grass, so she could still be with the others.

She is so sore this morning and I wondered if it is because she is not moving around any where near as much, because she is by herself.

And just this morning I was looking at the crest and wondered what would improve this. Does daily massage help the crest to go down?

I have allocated every thursday to trim her. so hopefully lots of little bits will keep it on track.

O.K I'm going out now to put another horse in with her.

Cheers Trace

Tracey - you brave, brave girl..... I have only just come across this thread and am awestruck.

And Peter - your knowledge and generosity of sharing your knowledge is mind blowing... thank you so much! We can't wait to meet you in person next time you come to England.

Keep up the good work Trace - you really are inspiring...

A big hug and a sugarfree carrot for Minty,

Monica x

Just another message of support Tracey - We treat many similar cases at our veterinary clinic and I have not put a laminitis pony down for many years now - the rehab is long but so rewarding , occasional setbacks can get you down but as Peter says its a "whole picture" management scenario so keep thinking imaginatively to keep her active.The health benefits of improved foot function continue month by month and even year by year - Kind regards Dr. Deb

Tracey heres a bit more support for you :thumbsup:

You are doing an amazing job and you are very courageous to help Minty, she is a very luck pony to have found you. Reading this makes me so grateful that our pony doesnt have any feet problems.

HI Tracey!

Just wanted to tell you that I was thinking of you yesterday.... with even more admiration! Our now-very-barefoot-friendly farrier came to trim the ponies hooves and, with your post in mind, asked him if we shouldn't be taking a little more off one of the ponies that is extremely prone to bouts of laminitis... it was almost like I had finally given him the green flag he had be waiting for! I must say I was cringing and thinking OH MY GOD, what have I suggested!!! And it wasn't a fraction as severe as what you had to do for Minty!! Pony trotted off in relief, farrier became more barefoot friendly and I just shook my head thinking: I would have never had the guts to do that.... how did Tracey do it!!??

Well done dear friend - and thank you again Peter, for showing us the way.

Rupert sends a big horsey thank you (all 9hh of him!!)

oh wow, thank-you for your kind words. You all must have known I needed a 'pick me up' Unfortuantley some people have seen the job I've done and because they don't understand why or the help I have gotton, they were a little bit 'horified' which made me feel sick. It was so nice to log on tonight and see you guys telling me it's o.k and I'm on the right track. She was sore after being yarded because of the rain, but tonight for the first time in about a week she trotted out with no limping. (Thank god) I have moments of holey cow what have I done..... then she shows some improvement. tonight she allowed me to rub the rasp around her feet standing free, she could have left but chose to stay, gave me some 'faces' but didn't pull her feet away from me. Thanks again guys, the guys that do this for a living truly earn their money.

Just an update,

Friday the 20th August - had x-rays done on Minty's front feet. Hugh relief to find the pedal bone has not rotated, 1 less thing to worry about :clapping: There is detoriation in the bone it has lots of small holes in it, kind of like coral. The vet said there was nothing I could do about it just manage her to try and reduce the chance of more detoriation.

There was discusion about 'my' trim, and I declined her kind offer to get a professional to fix it.

Today there was some hoof to file back - yay! it had grown!

And the best news, I get to take her to see Peter next wednesday!!! Thank goodness.

I have fenced off a larger sacrifice paddock where all the horses get to hang out of a night time, they are all fed in seperate yards for their suppliments, then put out into the larger sacrifice yard of a night. During the day the 2 big ones get to go out into their grazing paddock and Minty stays in the sacrifice paddock in view of the big ones. :)

Pat Colbey's diet has kicked in and the scabs that were all over her entire body have nearly cleared up, hair is growing back over the 'raw' bits and her eyes are so mush clearer, healthier looking.

There was discusion about 'my' trim, and I declined her kind offer to get a professional to fix it.

They really do mean well, but if all they've seen is traditional work how can they know? Sometimes I feel like we belong to the original round earth society, and are surrounded by flat earthers!! One day they will understand but until then they will continue to think that there a a high chance of falling off the edges, and will continue to wail to all who will listen.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I hope when misty is nicely 4 footed you will share your journey once more with this vet, and let the truth set her free.

You are doing great Tracey, and I am proud to be on your cheer team.

with love

Nicole

Thank-you so much Nicole.

Yes, she definantly had the pony's best interests at heart and truely wanted to help me. It took a lot of courage on my behalf to hold my ground and continue with the path I have chosen. I do look forward to a successful outcome to be able to show what we achieve. :thumbsup:

P.S she trotted then cantered 2 strides, over to me tonight to get her dinner ! much better then terrible hobble that she had. Still stiff gaited, I will look at getting her some bowen therapy to see if this will help.

Also, I have been massaging the 'fatty' crest on her neck twice a day and I swear it is so much smaller and even softer then it was.

Nicole you're so right thumbsup.gif

I look forward to coming along and hearing what Peter has to say, but I am confident you are on the right track Trace.

If you want a paddock mate for Minty I am more than happy to bring my Ewalk over for as long as you need (I will supply food of course). Would save you all the stress of moving your big guys around. Would not hurt to have Tarny in a Jenny Craig paddock LOL

You are doing well.

Bindy

Hi Bindy, sorry mate I missed this last post, and I still forgot to answer you even after you told me :whistling: umm still thinking about it, will talk to you tomorrow :)

A great big thank-you to Cath for organising Peter to come over and inviting me along. Wow! Didn't we have the best day with 10 people and 6 horses and it was not even an organised clinic! I feel so bad I had to leave early and missed the last bit, I hope it all went well.

It was so good to be able to see Peter and get him to help me with the forcing grooves. I was paralysed with indecision, I was so worried about going to far and causing some terrible damage. Well what can I say it was 'easy' :whistling: .... with Peter sitting right next to me. ;)

I will take more detailed photos of Minty's feet tomorrow. Here are a few from today.

post-88-022004300 1283338274_thumb.jpg

post-88-007826000 1283338446_thumb.jpg

post-88-026676400 1283338585_thumb.jpg

post-88-011853100 1283338744_thumb.jpg

post-88-057629100 1283338894_thumb.jpg

You are doing a great job Tracey, those feet look heaps better already!!:clapping:

What an awesome day clap.gif Sooo much more than any of us expected. Just when I thought QS was going to fill up your brain, I now need to find out about feet, muscles, and saddles smartass.gif

Tracey you are doing a wonderful job, Minty is looking great, in more ways than one. Just look how happy she is with you helping her.

Sharon expected to sit back and find out about Mc Coys foot, but found out she was going to be in there doing it eek.gif and it was not just the one foot. Great work Sharon for having a go. And we all learnt much more from Mc Coy's feet than what they appeared to be. If you think there is something not right, then you are probably right, even if you can't see it ohmy.gif

Thank you Cath for having us over.

Thank you Janelle and Jodie for joining us on your way back to Bundy, was wonderful to spend some time with you.

Thank you Sharon for brining Mc Coy and getting in there and doing it. (How did Heather go with the news? After all it is her horse).

Thank you to Peters' 3 lovely students for your support, and showing me/us that us girls can get out there and be better farriers than what is out there (because the options I have found suck, especially when it comes to manners with horses).

Thank you Tracey for showing us what you can do when you have the ghoolies to stand up for what you believe in and get in there and have a go!

And a huge THANK YOU to Peter, for sharing your knowledge with all of us girls and giving everyone the support they need to be our own horses farrier, in an aim to make our horses lives as pain free as we can.

In case I have not said it enough, Thank you,

Belinda

What can I say now - 'as above' ?

I had the most fantastic, educational and informative day at Cath's impromptu hoof trimming clinic. Thanks Cath for having us over and a huge thank you to Peter for sharing your skills and knowledge with us, talking, demonstrating, helping and supporting us while we put it into practice ourselves. To everyone who contributed to the banquet, the food was YUM.

Thanks Trace for letting us all watch you work on Minty, it has been a real education watching this rehabilitation, and so totally inspiring to see you doing it yourself

Heather's horse McCoy has had sort of mild intermittent lameness for some time now. We decided that before we called the vet to investigate we would have his diet checked, (pature *ysed and a feed plan from Carol Layton) and get his feet checked. They look ok - we could see what we thought was a little separation that we were not happy about but decided to seek help from an expert .

Peter found the 'bug' up in McCoy's hoof walls and chased it to eradicate it. He explained what was causing the separation that was allowing the 'bug' to get in and what has to be done to stop this sort of hoof damage and consequent bug infestation happening again. It was deceptive - didn't look like much of a problem from the outside, then Peter took his nippers and revealed the extent of it.

McCoy has un upright foot and I had taken him for Peter to give me his opinion as to whether something may be going on with that particular hoof to cause the problem. While he was fixing the immediate problem (bug infestation) he explained the most likely reason he has an upright foot. He has never walked landing firmly on his heels and the solution for the hoof is to get his muscles working properly. This would allow his stride to extend and his hooves to function as intended and to grow more like 'the ideal hoof'. Anyone able to recommend a muscle worker in the south Brisbane area?

Thanks again Peter for sharing your knowledge and expertise

Regards

Sharon

Hi guys, I'm really glad you could all make it, it was a great day! I learnt so much watching McCoy & Minty's feet being done by you girls & Peter. Thanks for coming along and to everyone who brought the yummy food too :D

And a huge Thank You to Peter, for sharing your knowledge with us all and encouraging us to learn and do all we can to look after our own horses feet. It may take another 5 years for me to be able to manage the tools at the same time as the foot, but eventually I will get there :)

Just an update,

Friday the 20th August - had x-rays done on Minty's front feet. Hugh relief to find the pedal bone has not rotated, 1 less thing to worry about :clapping: There is detoriation in the bone it has lots of small holes in it, kind of like coral. The vet said there was nothing I could do about it just manage her to try and reduce the chance of more detoriation.

Hi Tracey :-)

Watching this story with HUGE interest - balls of steel honey. Xray result interesting. Porous bones are caused by too much phosphorous re human nutrition site. Pat Coleby also says laminitus/founder caused by excess phosphorous (&/or protein). One of reasons Lucerne not good in huge quantities - high protein & poor 'calcium to phosphorous' ratios.Pat prescribes dollomite & extra magnesium to improve ratios & strengthen bones. Boron is good to "hold" calcium & magnesium in, also balances their ratios.

Good luck - u r a legend taking this on Trace. :-)

Thanks Kaz,

I was thinking of Pat's book the whole time the vet was speaking about it and thought there has to be something that will help. Do you know where I can get boran from? (I don't even know what it looks like :blush: )

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.