• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
caohmin

Foot Abscess

Hi all

advise needed - I am passing on some brief info 2nd hand...this regards my QH mare Lady Lara Caohmin (mummy to Lil P and Banjo) I sold her 4yrs ago ( :( :( ) and despite best intentions and regular visits and advise from myself and a barefoot farrier her feet have not been kept as I would have liked and her arthritis progressed...anyway, out of my control but, I got an email today suggesting she has severe abscess in both hind feet, is v sore and miserable and the owner is very unsure where to go and considers putting her to sleep.....she had the present abscess debrided under GA 8d ago, is on 10ml oral bute daily and now on oral trimidine antibiotic and advised cold pack and poulticing...................

I also suggested a check by farrier, boots/padded shoes, soft bedding, more pain relief +/- founderguard, more time..........................any other thoughts from you good folk would be most appreciated.

The owner is cost constrained and this mare is now 22yo with significant arthritis (cutting horse bred, trained and worked hard!) and although I would love to say hey just bring her home to us and I will go all out there to rescue the situation, a) its probably not appropriate and B) hubby may well file for divorce (or he'll make me leave Lil P with Mel!!!!)

Thanks so much

Rach

Hi Rach,

This is a tough one, how long has she been like this? This might be one for Peter to answer.

oh dear.....sounds like since December, however the 'new owners' innocent lack of knowledge could mean this has been grumbling for much longer. I have sent her pics and detailed instructions of how to poultice and Lara has started on new antibiotics..........sadly much as the lady loves her it probably requires more attention and understanding of whats going on and how aggressive to treat it so hopefully even from the computer end I can help..............and note to Lil P - I hope you are being as good as you beautiful Mummy Lara bred you to be for Auntie Mel !!!

hanging onto a tiny bit of hope someone may have a solution beyond the choice we are making thus far.....I visited Lady Lara today, this poor horse, my darling girl, so faithful and kind to us always and she can barely walk a step, is tucked up , depressed, has now obvious complications of lying down for long periods.....tomorrow I think I must honor her last dignity and put her to sleep. oh .....so many tears, so much regret......if only I had kept her, if only I could do more.........if anyone has any woderful stories of remedy please let me know before I say my final goodbye.............

Hi Rach,

So sorry to hear that she is in such a bad way - I do know that my horse had an abcess for 3 months before it came out, it sounds to me like you are doing everything you can for her.

Such a hard decision Rach. There is no use in looking to the past, the now is what matters. I am thinking of you and Lady Lara.

Margot

Oh Rach.... Thinking of you and sending love and positive thoughts

Hey, it is OK.

We can't win all the fights, and when your horse has given up it is OK to let her go. Our responsibility is to do the best for them that we can, and clearly I think you have done that, even when she was not your horse any more.

It sounds to me that she has many more issues than just abscess's as they tend to be a symptom of a whole lot of underlying damage, both structural and metabolic, and yes a bit of naive ignorance may have contributed, but whether we like it or not that seems to be how us humans learn.

Be at peace with whatever decision you make, remember her with fondness and joy for all the times you shared - be happy she was with you rather than sad for her passing.

'cole

Oh Rach I am sorry to read this I hope that you are feeling a little better with whatever turn you ended up taking. I think Nicole above summed it up really well (you have a great way with words Nicole!!)

Much love xoxo

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.