• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
zoe_kate

Nektar's Barefoot Journey

It has been a long while since I posted on the QS forum but as Nektar has now just enjoyed his second anniversary of being barefoot, it seemed the perfect opportunity to drop by to share his progress. Perhaps if there are some of you out there thinking about starting out on the barefoot journey or are going through the dilemma of whether or not to continue, Nektar's story may encourage you to hold on in there and be brave. It is worth reading the earlier posts which give some flavour of how tough it was in the beginning.

Nektar needed many months of care and kindness to help him through and it took a lot of faith and patience on my part to allow him the time that he needed to recover from all those years of being shoed and to not expect too much too soon. But I am so very glad I kept believing it was the right thing for him to go through, as two years on, my 21 year old beautiful boy, is happy, energetic, very sound and struts over cobbles when previously he could barely stand on them. His hooves are growing rapidly now, so much so that he has gone up a size in his hacking boots. His frogs have straightened and his biggest achievement was to be given the "best hooves on the yard award" by the barefoot farrier. Who would have thought that would have happened two years ago Monica!

So if any of you are thinking about it, worried about it, or experiencing the painful transition stage of letting your horse go barefoot, Nektar and I would just like to encourage you to keep going and have no doubts that it is the right thing to do. A good balanced diet, lots of love and buckets full of patience will get you through.

Nektar and I have not progressed too well with our level 2, although I hope to continue with it again sometime soon. I discovered the wonder of horse therapy after being trained by Rupert Isaacson, the author of the Horse Boy last year, so we will be spending our time bringing a little joy into the lives of autistic and special needs kiddies for a while but will certainly be back continuing our QS journey in the not too distant future.

Happy barefooting.

Zoe & Nektar

Hi Zoe

It's wonderful to hear from you again on the forum smile.png . I'm so glad Nektar is enjoying his new feet, I often see you riding out together and yep, he looks good to me clapping.gif . I'm so pleased too that you haven't given up on your QS journey and are just taking a detour. It's great that you and Nektar have the opportunity to spread a little happiness. Look forward to hearing more from you wink.png .

Hugs to you and your lovely Boy.

xx

Hey Stranger!

Good to hear from you and learn that you and Nektar are doing so well and continuing your journey together.

Best of luck with your therapy work and hope to see you in the flesh soon.

x Alexia

My dearest Zoe!!!!

Finding you on the forum has really brightened my day! Thank you for sharing Nektar's Barefoot Anniversary with usclapping.gif

Nektar was so lucky that you came into his life and that you had the fortitude and courage to trust and believe and give him the time he needed to heal. It wasn't easy to go against the opinion of vets and farriers that we trusted, specially when Nektar was so uncomfortable to begin with. Thank you for standing by his side and giving him the chance.

Lovely to read that you are sharing joy with autistic and special needs kiddies - a very noble cause.

And very exciting to read that you haven't totally given up on your Quantum Savvy dream - I still miss you sooooo much....We would LOVE to have you playing with us again soon.

Good luck with your new venture and thank you again for sharing your success with Nektar with us - I hope it will help other horses and their humans.

Lots of love,

Monica x

Thanks for sharing Nektar's progress Zoe. Can I ask was it a gradual desensitisation to rocky terrain? How did Nektar go when you first started riding out and did you just keep asking him to walk on rough ground ? My girl Dusty has always been barefooted, but she is in grassy paddocks, hence tends to be tender footed on rocky tracks. I am trying to build up her tolerance gradually.

cheers

Vicki

Edited by vicki

Hi Zoe and welcome back smile.png I have had Max for 9 years and have tried to keep him barefoot in all that time, although even now, he still gets a bit tender footed in the summer when the ground hardens off. I am persevering though and have a great barefoot trimmer and that I the utmost faith in. I have also done a couple of barefoot trimming clinics (one with Peter Laidley which was fantastic!) and I am now trimming (well tidying really) Max's feet in between Martin's visits which he said makes his job so much easier.

And how wonderful that you discovered horse therapy and have done some training with Rupert Isaacson. I read the book "The Horse Boy" last year and just loved it and did a bit of research on the internet to see what Rupert had done since the trip. He is doing an amazing job and it's such a wonderful opportunity for these children.

I'm sure that the knowledge and understanding you have gained through your study of QS will have helped you with your horse therapy and will always be there to come back to when you are ready to continue.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey thus far smile.png

Hi Zoe!

Really good to hear from you & look! eek.gif ....you got me posting on the forum (i'm usually useless!!)

I am so pleased for you and Nektar - a difficult journey but so worth it....and sounds like the onward journey will be just as rewarding for you - be it horse therapy or QS, (or both!) ...keep believing & just do what feels right clapping.gif keep us posted !

big hug to you & Nektar

lots of love

x Gitte

Hi Zoe,

good to see you here on the forum!!! And to read about your barefoot journey :)

I certainely think it is really taht: a journey!

I have Ronda now for 2,5 years and she also went barefoot when I got her. And it is definitely not an easy one for us... just the other day Ronda went lame due to the bad conditions of the ground in the freezing weathereek.gif

But she is fine again now since we start to defrost here - and also all the Level 3 work helps A LOT!!!!

So thank you for your uplifting post!!! yinyang.gif

Hi Zoe

I would like to read your journey from earlier posts, however I'm having trouble finding them... can anyone post a link to get me started???

Thanks,

Kel (& Connor)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.