• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Mishy

Split in hoof :(

Hi guys

I haven't been on here in soooo long and I thought that we had my girls hooves all sorted. I was wrong!!

Now I am back to beg for some help.

Rundown is:

Before Xmas my girl kicked a stick while we were out riding. I hopped off and checked her and she had a tiny puncture wound to her coronet band. I walked her home and soaked it and applied antiseptic to the area.

It appeared to all be fine and healing well BUT it actually travelled down her hoof (as the hoof grew the hole travelled) and you could see the 'injury' moving slowly down the hoof. Fast forward 5 months and the original wound is still travelling down the hoof BUT the hoof now has a crack in it. This crack is going up to the coronet band!

At the bottom part of the hoof, the crack is wider than towards the top (I'm assuming because of the weight on her hoof causing separation?) to counteract this we (well my husband) have been trying to keep that section of wall from bearing weight. Every now and then it appears to be working and the split towards the top of the hoof (near the coronet band) appears to be no more than a hair line crack, although you can still see that it is there.

I am concerned that this is going to be a lifelong injury for her. A few weeks back (probably a month ago) we altered their feed and since then BOTH of our horses have developed lines (laminitic?) around their hooves. BOTH horses, on ALL four feet, occurring at about the same distance down the hoof so it has to be a feed change (I think). My girl didn't seem herself a few days into the change so we cut the new feed from their diet but she still seems a little "not right".

I have not been riding her as she seemed agitated and grumpy and I thought she might have been sore. Two weeks ago she seemed a lot happier so I rode (for about 6 mins on the Saturday) and she was fabulous. Couldn't have asked more of her so I ended quickly(on a good note) and thought that she was over the worst of it. On Sunday she was back to looking glum sad.png and I haven't ridden her since. My question is; What do we do to treat the crack? Apart from keeping that section off the ground. Should I apply some type of resin over the split to ensure it doesn't keep on re-opening? Do I get an expert farrier out to trim away the crack and then put some sort of spackle/resin/glue substance in it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I will attempt to attach a picture.

Thank you

G'day Mishy

Well in this case the wound may certainly have triggered the crack, however, apart from wounds, almost all hoof cracks are caused by incorrect hoof shape and cracks in this area come from allowing forward heel and forward toe.

Now the forward heel is very hard to get rid of, however keeping the hoofwall level with the natural sole on both sides will help…

Getting rid of the forwards toe is easy… just cut the hoofwall off, horizontally –backwards , and keep a big bevel right around the front of the hoof until the dorsal hoofwall is completely straight from top to bottom with absolutely no flare…

Getting on top of the low grade laminitis will also help to reduce the flare…

Finally, part of the cure must be to eliminate “The Bug” which will have invaded the crack.

I hope this helps…

Peter

Just a quicky, re not letting a bug in from an injury like that, how do you acheive that.

My horse just quarterd his heel and there has been a small scratch put in the back of his heel. The wound got struck by fly a couple of days ago, so as gross as it sounds it cleaned it up beautifully and it has joined up nicely and doesn't seem to be getting any proud flesh.... im just worried about any thing starting from here and going into the heel. It has been a week now, so im probably a bit late asking... I did have it covered for a bit after it got struck (we gave it a hit of sheep dip and then waited for everything to come out and washed it out and then smothered it in manuka honey, stapped and booted him for about 3 days), just to keep it clean and hoping it would heal from inside out....

How is this sounding so far!!!! What steps could i take now to look after this heel, would you cut open the scratched bit of hoof???? Any ideas!

Cheers

Jill

Guest Mishy

Thanks for that Peter. I read your message when I got back from the horses(on Sun). This is what I have done so far:

I have changed her diet (VERY boring and basic now) BUT she ate it happily so hoping to reduce the laminitis lines and bouts.

I have 'scraped' along the crack and removed the black bits (the bug?) and then cleaned it, soaked in white king bleach solution and then covered it with antibacterial hoof putty.

As for the flaring and heel stuff, I will get my husband to have a look this weekend as he does their feet. I have attached some pictures of her feet that I took on Sun (my husband couldn't come as he is recovering from an injury)

Just to confirm (for me) the forward heel means too much of a slope in the heel? Should her heel be 'more upright?' So it is taller and not so flat towards the ground? I have a picture of her heel and her hoof walls are pretty close to her soles but I cannot work out how to get them into a more upright position (more 'blockish' sort of looking? Is that what we should aim for?)

Is it possible to explain how to cut the toe wall off horizontally and backwards? Do you discuss it in your CD/ebook? If you do I will have a look through the cd so that it makes sense to me. What would happen if we cut too much toe wall off? Are you allowed to rasp the outer edge of the wall up to where the flare is? Will this make a difference to the structure or will it be purely cosmetic? Is it the actual reduction of the hoof wall (outside toe piece) that will make the structural change?

Sorry for so many questions. I will have another look at your ebook and see if that clears anything up for me but I am reasonably confused. Do you have a picture of what shape we should aim for please? One that shoes the heel shape?

I can't work out how to attach a link through quick post so will send this then try and attach the photo. One is of her sole and the other is after her 'bug' treatment.

Thank you

Guest Mishy

I am unable to upload pictures. I think that there is a problem with my computers security settings.

OK I think I have my computer worked out so I will give uploading pictures another go.

This is her foot, sole and the split

And this is her foot after I scraped it out, bleached it and treated it. What else should I be doing?

post-2201-0-36156900-1336217038.jpg

post-2201-0-75306400-1336217095.jpg

On the upside. She is still showing no signs of lameness and the hairline crack (at the very top, closest to the coronet) seems to be improving (well new hoof that is coming in appears to be healthier than it previously was). Today I had a little trail ride (nothing more than walk and trot) and I did put her Cavallos on her as I thought it might support the hoof a little.

I scraped the crack again, cleaned and soaked it before applying putty. I can take pictures again tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

So today the farrier was at the agistment place. My husband is still unable to attend to the horses feet as he is unwell so I had the farrier trim Gypsy.

He trimmed out some of her hoof so that I could treat "the bug" and hopefully it will start to heal now that we can treat it adequately.

We will continue to treat the infection and see if this improves. Any suggestions on other things that I should be doing?

Thanks

Pictures:

post-2201-0-83181600-1336298578.jpg

post-2201-0-37943700-1336298593.jpg

my thought is that the forces when weight bearing over this defect may encourage it to furtehr split as it grows and so although I love to be barefoot I think perhaps a supportive shoe may be worth considering here, atleast perhaps a boot on and certinly would not be trotting at all on this hoof. Rach

Hi Rach

Thanks for your input. I agree that the weight on her hoof might actually be encouraging the hoof to split further. The farrier has cut away the 'infected' portion of the hoof and has raised that section so that it no longer comes into contact with the ground.

When I checked her today the piece cut out by the farrier is healing very well. I will try and get a photo tomorrow. She actually appears to have a little soft piece (about the size of my pinky nail) of hoof, just below the coronet band, that has me quite concerned. The farrier thinks it is scar tissue and that the fault may be there forever :(

I will upload pictures of the improvements. At this stage, I would prefer to not put shoes on her, but if I get no joy with the current plan, I will definitely look into it.

Thanks again for your input

Cheers

HI Mishy, you need to get the weight off the hoof wall, the wall is still bearing weight by the look of the pictures.... by the looks of it you need to take the wall back at a 45 degree angle, so that it is bevelled!!! Especailly at the quarters......hope this makes sence... The crack wont stop until you do.. and no amount of purple spray is going to help!

have a go at the 45 degree bevel and then post some more photos,,, i tend to disagree with Rach here (sorry rach) but a shoe wont fix it as the weight will still be on the wall of the hoof.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this