• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
lisa roberts

Trouble with forward on one rein

I am having trouble getting Wakita to go forward on one rein, when I throw the rope over his head to change direction he ducks his head and tries to cart me back to the fence .. where we end up doing small circles.. blush.png

what should I do to get him moving in the direction I want ?

cheers Lisa

Hi Lisa,

sounds like he might need a bit more desensitising with the rope from the ground. I do not know where you are with your assignments but it's a good idea to make sure you have all the ground skills ticked off as this will help you when you are up in the saddle as Wakita will be used to have the rope flying over his head from left to right and back again.

After you have it solid on the ground, start doing it whilst sitting in the saddle but not going anywhere. Just sit, relax and throw the rope over a few times before you ask him to walk off.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Petra :)

Hi Petra thanks for that. I only have my riding assignments to do to finish level 1.. that sounds easy doesnt it !! Yesterday I did do a lot of rope throwing at walk and trot and while attempting to weave through the cones .. and I did find that he stopped taking off once I started sitting back more .. but when we go to change direction he is taking over and moving me back to the fence .. and then its very hard to get him to go forward again. ...

cheers Lisa

Hi Lisa,

This can be a really challenging one for us. It will take really strong focus on your behalf to get your directions. Pick a piont past where you need to go and focus there, sounds like Wakita is testing your focus a bit on this one, the only other thing I would suggest is think about how you are sitting when you throw your rope. Make sure you are sitting back and not leaning forward (even a smidge and she will feel it) and bracing to throw the rope.

Have fun.

Jen

Hi Lisa

Are you remembering to look up when you change direction. Also Mel told me to do a HQ yield when my pony wasn't going in the direction I was asking. I also did heaps of ride the rail. You could also practice throwing the rope over while doing a passenger lesson.

Hi Lisa,

Is this happening at walk or trot? Can you slow down - if he is running off at trot, go back to a walk to change direction and get it good at walk before going up to trot again. If it is happening at walk, bend him to a stop and throw the rope over.

If you find yourself in the situation where he is running off on you, remember that the further he goes in the wrong direction, the harder it is going to be to regain your leadership. As Chris says, if he is not listening to your direct rein, go back to your indirect rein to help turn him and if that is still not working, bend him to a stop.

The small circles at the fence is his lack of forward showing up, the longer he gets comfort here, the more he will try it also, so try speeding him up to help get yourself out of the spot where he wants to stop.

Thanks everyone for advice it is much appreciated.

Mel this was mainly happening during trot. Since posting I have done several trot passenger lessons, RTR, and have concentrated on throwing the rope in passenger lessons and while weaving through the cones, at the same time trying to make sure I am sitting back, looking up when we change direction, staying REALLY focused and he knows when my attention wanders :) looking through where we want to go and not letting him take over .. but happy to report we are making progress clapping.gif we ended up doing some really focused change of direction through the cones both ways even with the added draw of friend on pony watching from the sidelines. The last session I had a go at the one rein assignment and while it has some warty moments I will submit for feedback when I can get time at work to upload .. our internet not fast enough at home to upload or download videos.

Planning on another session on the weekend if Wakita is ok to ride he has had ongoing issues with stomach ulcers again which might also contribute to his fascination with lack of not wanting to go forward !!

cheers Lisa

You are making great progress by the sounds of it Lisa, fantastic!clapping.gif

I am looking forward to your video cowboy.gif