• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mossierock

My amazing experience in Chinchilla

Recently I took part in the Colt Start clinic held at Chinchilla. I took Aussie with me & a 2yr old TB colt (Lonnie), and I had organised a stock horse cross 3yr old gelding (Yasi) from Chinchilla as my 2nd horse. Both these horses had had very little handling. My third horse was organised for me as I couldn't get another to Chinchilla from home. This one was a very scared Welsh Mountain pony mare (Willow) who had been broken in but hadn't been able to be caught since.

All three taught me so much over the 13 days about my position and my phases and how much impact they both have on my horses. Willow taught me so much about my own feelings and fears and just how much I have to control them before she would let me near her. She really made me question my own abilities and emotions, so much so that I almost pulled out, but thanks to the awesome team I was with that helped me work through the hard stuff I did make it to the other side. Although I didn't end up riding Willow she still taught me more than I could imagine about my horsemanship & myself.

Aussie was my first horse each day & he opened my eyes too about my horsemanship both good & bad. And he was such an awesome partner for me when ponying the youngsters. Aus tried very hard to understand what I wanted & how to help me, even when I didn't know what I wanted him to do.

Lonnie & Yasi were perfect students, both testing me & cutting me so much slack when they could've really made it hard for me. They were so similar yet so very different but the similarities in them showed me all too well where my weaknesses are. They both trusted me & built my trust immensely in them and the horses yet to come. It was hard to give them back, they had come so far from when we met.

Since returning home I've had a report from Yasi's owner. She has had a ride on him at home & is very happy with him, he was very sensible & she had some nice canters on him & felt really comfortable on him. Other horses & new places didn't bother him at all.

A huge thank you to Shane, Meredith, Vicki, Allan & Tracey for all the support & not letting me quit. A special thank you to Lorraine for being there for me when I needed you.

I must thank the owners of my horses also, especially Yasi's owner who had enough faith in me to bring him to me in Warwick so that I could finish him off. I still had a little more work to do with the 2 boys when we finished, so I had them at home with me for a while to make sure they were solid in their foundations.

Lonnie's owner also is very happy with his progress. When I met Lonnie 5 months ago he had to be caught, loaded in a float & moved to a new paddock. It took us 3/4 hr to get him in the float, we ended up used conventional ways but by integrating release at the same time we apparently had a huge effect on him. When I picked him up 4mths later he was friendly, easy to catch & it took about 5mins to walk him on the float.

From the uncatchable, scared, horse I first met 5 months ago who was rearing & throwing himself around, Lonnie changed to the quiet, meek & mild sooky pony that I delivered back.

It certainly wasn't an easy course to do but was definitely an experience of a lifetime that I know will help set me up in my now current business & lifestyle.

post-1943-0-44247600-1397821140_thumb.jpg

Can't forget my other news! My brand new QS saddle arrived last week. :cheers:

Will have lots of fun breaking it in too.

post-1943-0-99361000-1397822779_thumb.jpg

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. So honestly. I can only imagine what you went through, but to what a place to be like that, with all those supportive experienced skilled people behind you to help you along.

Congratulations Ruth! Only the people who put them selves out there, on a journey, get to the destination. Sometimes the journey is rough but but if you go with the right people the destination is beautiful!

Wow Ruth, what an amazing experience and thank you so much for sharing with us.

The QS family really step up in the time of need, I just love all the support.

Congratulations Ruth for taking that journey, you were amazing! You inspired me, you very brave woman. Thank you very much for letting me be a part of your journey. I also learnt so much it really is very difficult to put into words the amount learning, BFOs etc.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us, its a tough journey which sure does teach you heaps about yourself and so much better to share it with supportive like minded friends. Well done and love the new saddle! :)

Thanks girls, so great having a supportive family like we do. I know you all understand the emotions I went through & no doubt will again at some stage.

Thank you Tracey you were a great support.

Another report on little Yasi, he has been on a trail ride & was great, nothing worried him. He has now gone out for a well earned break.

Wow, Ruth, what a nice report - and a beautiful, inspiring video!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. :cowboy:

Cheers

Verena

Just received some bad news that has upset me & need to share it with my QS family.

Yasi, the awesome little stockhorse guy that I started at Chiinchilla has had to be put down today.

He had been bought back into work after a spell & somehow injured his shoulder. After a vet check it was found that he had a fracture in his shoulder that was impossible to heal.

He has been buried in the paddock that he had been spelling & enjoying himself in.

From his owner: "I was so proud of how well he behaved even though he must have been in so much pain. A beautiful little man who was so gentle and trusting. "

He was named Yasi when he was born the day cyclone Yasi hit.

RIP little Yasi. You taught me so much & will be sadly missed.

post-1943-0-70668700-1405500754_thumb.jpg

Bugger and some :(

That's very sad Ruth, especially for a young horse with his whole future ahead

At the moment I am having to contemplate putting down my aged horse and reading this has made me cry. It's such a difficult decision to come to terms with and that they are mentally alert but their bodies have let them down is so unfair.

Sometimes it's hard to imagine how much they touch our lives, but at least they won't be forgotten.

Thanks Steph, I was flat out seeing while I typed that up.

I know it is very hard to let go but sometimes we have to do the best for them. I hate having to make that decision.

You will make the right decision when the time comes & we will all be here for you.

Very, very sad to hear this news Ruth. xxx

Oh no Ruth, he was a very special part of your journey. I have tears in my eyes, because I saw the amazing and huge transformation between the 2 of you, while you were here. So i appreciate the experience was 100 fold for you. A great big hug for you my friend.