• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
meredith

Tanya Jacobs

Dear QS family. Unfortunately today I have the very sad task of letting you all know of the passing of one of our own. Our dear friend Tanya Jacobs.

Tanya has fought a very long and courageous battle with cancer for the last 6 years. If anyone was going to beat this thing it was her. The fact that she eventually was overcome by it is testament to the size of the battle. I don't know anyone as brave, as strong, or as determined in spirit and soul as Tanya. Her loss is a great tragedy.

She began her QS journey many years ago. I still remember the first time we spoke on the phone, when she rang to enquire about coming to Qld for a QSE camp. Even then her passion for her horses, her journey and for helping others was evident. Tanya went on to become a Group Organiser, a Level 2 graduate and was about to become a QS Instructor when she became ill.

Tanya was more than a friend. She was an inspiration to many people, someone who really genuinely cared about others and who went out of her way to help and support those around her and beyond.

I feel a bit lost for words but I do have a request. For all of you who knew Tanya either in person or via the forum, I'd like to ask you to please write of your experiences or stories of her, here on this post. If you have a photo or something to say. Please add it here as a memento of her life and her time with QS.

Tanya I will miss you and think of you every day. A good friend, a comrade and a fellow 'Fine Girl'. xxx

Tanya Jacobs.jpg

Beautiful words Meredith, even though some of us didnt get to meet Tanya personally i am sure many of us have followed her inspirational posts on facebook. She did fight hard and put all her feelings in to those posts to let us all know she was fighting with everything she had. She stayed positive right to the end. I am sure you have touched many of our hearts Tanya. RIP to a beautiful lady who inspired a lot of us on her journey.

Guest Elise

May You Rest In Peace Tanya.

My condolences to all who knew Tanya. A sad loss. Elise

Guest Guest

Was really sadden to hear that Tanya had lost her battle with cancer. I first meet Tanya on my first QS camp back in 2006. She was so energetic and caring. We had some great laughs. I know she put her heart snd soul into her horses and to those people who wanted more for theirs. What a sad time for everyone whom she touched. Tanya will be greatly missed. Cheers Dorinda

I remember the great times we had at the QSE after hours around the table and am glad she never did a camp with Jill Prince as they would have been big trouble together I think, no offense Jill but I think I still have your bottle of gin floating around :)

Tanya was good fun I will miss her and was looking forward to seeing her again in WA but will now go and meet with her friends that she has left behind and fulfill her wishes of looking after them with their horsemanship.

Thank you Meredith, so very hard to do, Tanya was the most awesome person I know.

My time with her was short but lest a very lasting impression on me. We met at Level 3 camp & we clicked instantly. We had many laughs together & even got the same injury as we both copped a 44 in the shin while galloping the barrels, (I still have the scar to remind me).

We videoed much of the camp & Tanya did a running commentary the whole time explaining what Shane was saying to the camera. I will always have those videos never to be lost.

Tanya you are an inspiration to all of us, your strength & bravery & determination to never give in is something I aspire to.

Rest in peace my friend, you will always be in my heart.

Actually Shane, I met both Tanya & Jill at the same time at Level Three camp. :D We had a blast.

What sad news. I only new Tanya through the forum but would have loved to have met her. Her forum post always made me laugh. I'm sure she was great fun to be around and she sounds like she was a very inspirational person.

I met Tanya in 2009, whilst she was visiting family in the UK. We had connected via the QS Forum.

We agreed to meet at a pub, by the River Thames, with our partners Gary and Ian. When Tanya walked into the pub I felt, immediately, that we had a soul connection.... it was as if if I had known her forever! It was so easy to sit and talk, and talk, and talk, and talk and laugh and talk some more..... The memories of that afternoon have always been so vivid!

The day after, Tanya came down to the stables to join a Practice Session - she had us all in awe! We all wanted to be as good as Tanya one day. It was wonderful.

I then saw Tanya one more time, on changeover day between the Professional Conference and the Endorsed Instructors Course in Queensland in 2012. Again, it was as if I had seen her every day since our last meeting 3 year previous. Such a warm, bubbly feeling.

So that gives me the amazing privilege of having shared maybe 4 or 5 hours, at the most, of Tanya's life.... and what an impression she made in that time. Her positivity, her smile, her straightforwardness, her humour and of late, her courage, will stay with me forever.

I send my love to all of you that had Tanya in your lives on a bigger scale.... I can only start to start to imagine the void that you feel. Take a page from her strength and her courage and know that her spirit is still here with us. Let's celebrate her life in the way whe would have wanted us to.

Rest in peace, Tanya. You will forever have a special place in my heart.

I was also privileged to be at level 3 camp with Tanya. She was warm and inspirational - what an amazing time we all had together. Like Ruth said - it was a blast. Tania was a bright light who helped all around her to shine.

Rest in peace Tanya

Rest in peace, Tanya. You faught an amazing fight.

I met Tanya in 2006 at the Level 2 clinic and then caught up with her a few more times. My fondest memory is that of the UHC in, ooh... 2010 I think... it was a rather wet camp. We were working on our emotional fitness and for me ... going faster then a leasurely canter was a bit scary. Tanya was riding Meredith's horse Angel and she yelled out ... 'Follow me' and cantered ahead of me going faster and faster. I didn't want to be left behind so asked Stubby for more and I had my first fast canter. Thank you Tanya... for the wonderful memories.

Such a sad day, Tanya will be missed by many people as she touches everyone she meets in such a special way. I have only met her in person a few times but I really cant remember exactly when that was as I feel as though I have known her forever. A couple of years ago, we traveled to WA for a holiday and I met up with her at Bunbury, we had lunch together at a pub and talked about everything! She filled me in on all of her horses and about her endurance riding, her enthusiasm and positiveness ringing through with every word, I will never forget that day.

My thoughts are with all of Tanya's family and friends.

I only knew Tanya from the forum but even then her enthusiasm and knowledge shone through.

My thoughts go out to her family and friends at this sad time

My Darling Friend,

I haven't been able to stop crying long enough to find the words to express the loss I feel. So instead I need to celebrate the friendship we had. You welcomed me to W.A in 2006, I arrived from QLD excited that I had a QS playmate waiting for me , some 5000km away. You were excited that I had come that far to practise with you. It was our long running joke as we both travelled between QLD and W.A to play ponies together in the years that followed. That we had horses and would travel for that perfect ride ;) I loved your sense of humour, I loved your honesty, I loved the way we could just talk about anything in the whole world. You were so easy to get along with. I can see by the many many messages here and on facebook you are going to leave a void felt across the world. I can't imagine what your boys are going through right now. You are an amazing woman, an amazing friend, an amazing teacher, an amazing listener. You told me you wanted to go, you told me you didn't want to be in pain any more, I tried to understand, but I didn't want to let you go. Be free from all those shackles my beautiful friend, spread your wings and be forever happy. XX

To all my friends far and wide, To Meredith and Shane and Tracey, I can only imagine your pain.

Shane I did get to do a camp with her, It was the only camp I ever did that I woke up with a bit of a hangover most mornings! But thats what happens when you put great people together. I'll never forget the excitement that Rose had on her face as we rounded the corner of the shed, we were late of course, and there was Tanya sitting at the table following dinner... they jumped up and hugged each other and jumped around like gooses!

Rose then filled me in on the camp they did a couple of years earlier, where it rained all the time, and just like me Tanya had to tape her backside :eek: ........ and one time it was so bad she couldn't pull it off herself, she had to get Rose to do it for her! (Rose is a nurse and an expert at pulling dressings off! I know this first hand)! I only say this because it makes me laugh, and I know that she and I are not the only ones this has happened to!

Anyway, that was the year I brought that bottle of Gin Shane! I hope it makes it to the fridge in the new QSSC one day! What I also love is that a few other Gin lovers have had a few from it too!

At that camp were the most amazing people, my dear friend Rose, Carmen, Ruth, Sharon, Petra and of course Tanya...

I never forget one night we were supposed to be doing some homework, wed left it pretty late and Id had a couple of Gins we were all really tired, and one of us started crapping on about something in their life that wasn't quite like they wanted it.... Well Tan let them have it... In the most diplomatic way I have ever heard, but it worked a treat, and we never heard another word the whole camp! She certainly changed some perspectives! She told them in no uncertain terms that the only reason they were unhappy was because of them and their decisions, if they wanted to become happy they needed to change their patterns and to stop making everyone pity them.

She showed them her scars and that was the end of that!

From that day on, if someone starts the pity story I think of Tan that night and suggest the same....especially if they are a repeat offender!

ill never forget looking over from my round yard watching her and Poco bareback and bridles, canter rebound departs, change of directions, and later that Level 3 Barrel Gallop and how Pocco was dancing on the spot because she was so god dammed happy with how much fun it was! Barrel gash and all! She eventually realised what was happening relaxed and dropped the reins and Pocco stood still!

Not long ago whilst doing my Level 3 Long Rein Assignment I asked Ruth to pull up her copy of the video she took when Tanya got picked for the Demo girl for long reining because Poco was popping his head up... after watching her go through it I was able to go a bit wider and be softer with my body and Leroy and I got our stuff together the very next session... So thanks for that Tanya! Helping me out years later, I think I face booked her and told her too!

I remember also the concoction of pills and herbs on the wall in her room, she said she need the room for her pharmacy... back then It didn't even come into my mind that she wouldn't beat this thing, I felt she was amazing, vibrant and strong, she glowed. She was so excited that she was doing the Ultimate that year and the ELI training, 3 camps in 1 year.

Following our camp we all followed our progress for a while, i watched her gallop patterns with Splash and her young horse and the growth of her practice group, we emailed as a group and kept in touch for a while.

Im now preparing for a journey to the Adelaide Hills to help fulfil Tanya's wishes. I am very proud an honoured to have known her and shared what people share when they QS camp together. I will help celebrate her life by continuing Isben's journey to the top! I look forward to the journey I know Tanya will be watching over him, I promise to give him a life with options and release and good care.

Love to you all.

Tall Jill xxxx

Guest Rose

I have come to this post several times to try to write something only to leave again because words just seem so inadequate.

Thank you Ruth Tracey Jill for writing my experiences of Tanya down.

It's always so damn hard to say goodbye to those people you love so much.

I loved Tanya for integrity ,her desire to help others,her openess,her sincerity,her authenticity & her sense of fun.

I did 2 camps with her & like you all felt a strong connection. Many good discussions & lots of laughter after class.

I don't have your elephant memory Jill so I can't remember what they were about.

My favourite photo of her is where she is waving the Aussie flag on her horse. She looked so free & full of life.

We honour you Tan, you lived your life well.

Probably the most important thing you shared with me was how you took your son & your family & lived out in the bush to help him overcome his addiction. A profound action.

Thank you for sharing that with me.

Love you

I attended the UHC a few years ago now and one of my fellow students was Tanya. As everyone has said you felt her energy and love of life immediately. I loved her softness and strength, her positivity in the face of adversity . . . . 'never give up'!

I followed her journey with her horses and became a Facebook friend and was inspired by her steely determination to fight on.

Thank you Tanya . . . . you will always be remembered with love.

The Willow

The willow casts her branches wide
and protects all in her reach.
And though she's strong through everything,
she bends still with the breeze.

Her grace and beauty catch our hearts,
with Her ever lasting care,
and the shelter offered to all who pass
and choose to linger there.

But time has brought a change to her,
that even she cannot defend.
Our love for her is strong indeed
but not enough to mend.

"It's time," she says, "we're past goodbyes.
Now you must let me go.
I'm fine and it'll be alright.
I'm not afraid you know."

Much like the river flowing past,
life comes and goes to soon.
The willow hangs it's graceful head
and we're left crying tears for you.

Willow.jpg

That is just beautiful Meredith . . . . so restful, so reassuring, a wonderful tribute to a special person :yinyang:

I also met this wonderful lady at a QS group organiser's two day work shop back in 2007 or maybe 2008 not exactly sure. Since then we have kept in touch and Tan has been a true inspiration to me, always helpful and there if needed to chat. I still find it hard to believe this such sad news :( Tan was a fighter, so positive and always happy, she never once showed any sign of pity or negativity and was always strong and full oflife.

Such a beautiful human being with a huge heart. Thank you for being a part of my life, Tan you will always be missed and always be an inspiration.

My thoughts are with Tan and her beautiful family xxx

Guest Lee Boelen

It's so wonderful to read your posts re:Tan we use to train for endurance together,laugh together and had lots of fun together,sometimes pushing our riding and life to the extreme.training through the pines(to scare roo's and emu's away)we would sing our fav song we are the champions of the world. Our horses ears were flat back so they couldn't hear our terrible singing voices and were always in a hurry to find our floats.Tan always would think outside the box and very inventive. One year for Melb Cup Day we had to dress up in a dress and hat purchased from the op shop and only allowed to spend $10.she just loved setting challengers!!! After bets, sweep and luncheon and plenty of champagne with strawberries it was load our horses and off to estuary for ride with the crabs (lucky they are QS trained and self load.) in our dresses and yes someone did end up in the drink but didn't get any sympathy from us, just told to toughen up princess and get back on lol!,Tan was one of a kind, such a special person and I miss hearing Hey Lee what do you think about!! If I didn't agree she wanted to know why, if I said sounds like a plan she would want to do it now right now lol.its good to know her beautiful horses are going to special homes this was heavy discussed before the decision was made and not taken lightly.i had the honour of worming and helping a barefoot farrier do their feet a few weeks ago and should be there soon.all very special. I have been very lucky to know such a beautiful friend who will always be in my heart and on my shoulder telling me when I am doing a 80k ride oh it's doesn't hurt just keep going!

Hey Lee. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely stories with us here. It made me laugh and cry at the same time, reading your post. I can just imagine it and hear her saying all those things.

Can we share one of your lovely photos of your day at the estuary yesterday? Do remember Tan? It was such a lovely thing to do.

I've been keeping track of the ponies. They will be in Adelaide tomorrow night and her with us on Monday. We are all very excited to be receiving them and we have a bit of a plan for when they get here. Will keep everyone posted. And many, many thanks again for everything re getting the horses ready, organised and on their way. Anything for Tanya. xxx

While Tanyas' and my paths never crossed she was always there as part of my extended QS family. She was here on the forum and in recent times I followed her amazing strength and never quit attitude on Facebook.

You all have such amazing stories of a strong wonderful lady and Im sure you all know how blessed you are to have known her.

RIP Tanya.

Dear Tanya, I had the privilege to share 2 camps with you – enough time that you made a very lasting impression on me. Your authentic voice, your warm, strong prescence, your hearty laughter.

You will stay in my thoughts.

All my love

Verena

Thanks Lee for trying to put the piccies up of your wonderful tribute ride for Tanya the other day. I have taken to liberty of sharing one from Chell's Facebook post. Hope that's okay Chell?

A great tribute to a wonderful friend Tanya Jacobs today at the estuary where she often trained for endurance rides & had fun too. Many beautiful flowers were laid upon the water to honour the many lovely memories we all had of such a beautiful lady. Miss you Tanny Wanny xo
The great group of people who shared this moment were Lee Boelen, Donelle Brown, Cantee Brown, Alison Winfield, Brian Plowman, Clare Hull, Kylie Martin, Sharon Piscioneri, Brit, Isabell, Kylie, Lisa Gibson, Martine Lilly, Lubs all you guys xoxo

Memorial for Tanya.jpg

That is really beautiful.... What a nice way to remember Tanya <3