• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
ann

Rebuilding out of work horses fitness.

Hi all.

Well I've just restarted QS and have a question regarding aged and unfit horses pre-ridden training.

Shane mentioned at the Blackbutt RFT that horses really need to be fit before being ridden too much. I remember he mentioned lots of spirals and changes of direction to get the horse lifting up through the middle.

My question is how much ground work should I (we Kalena will be joining me) do before doing say a trot passenger lesson. Nugget is on the slim side and doesn't really have a topline anymore and his hips are a bit dodgey (sacroilliac issues I think). Both are stiff and would only benefit from more exercise. They've been on a Paddock Paradise system in the past and really benefitted from it but their agistment doesn't allow for that at the moment.

Any idea's regarding timeframes for achieving a fit (enough) horse would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Anne,

Cool to hear your bringing the ponies back into work!

When I bring Leroy back in I always do a couple of ground work sessions before I start riding again. Mostly to see how he is moving, as he has hip issues too. If I see that he is able to yield all sections and pick himself up Ill move on. If he has any clunky bits I make sure I give extra release for his efforts and it is amazing how quickly he becomes "unclunky"!

Is the horse you are working with the one you have worked on in the program previously? If so you will know this horses movement and know what to expect...how much to ask etc, start with your level 1 ridden HW cards and move on, If its a new horse, just start at the beginning of the homework cards and follow them along. You can't go wrong really!

I know if i get a big idea and start working out, I can go gung ho for the first session, its generally the second session that tells me what area's and muscles need working on/stretching etc.

Something else to think about is extra dietary support, i.e. all those mineral supplements that will help with some of those aches and pains, and optimal working health!

Good luck with everything and looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers

JIll.

Hi Anne,

I would ease him into it, and as Jill mentioned, check him out with some ground work sessions and maybe just sit on him and do a few yields for a start. Perhaps do ride the rail transitions and walk passenger lessons for a while to build him up before going to the trot PL's.

Thank you for starting this post Ann. Both Callie and Firefly have been out of work for a while so getting some hints and tips to get them fit for riding is really welcome.

I need to get Callie back as my main riding horse and Firefly needs to loose a bit of weight... walk passenger lessons ... I can do that. Let the ground work begin :).

LOL Glad you can relate Petra. I walked Eddie back to his paddock today, he's been on a paddock two "doors" along to eat their grass down. He was very ouchy on his front feet. Poor baby. I check and for the first time ever I can see pink on his sole. I'm very worried about his pedal bone, hope it hasn't rotated. :( :( I've just spoken to a friend who has a little shetland who is unworked, she's 4. She might have to be my new groundwork project until all this green grass is gone. :( :( Or I can figure out a way to get them back on PP track.

Edited by ann