• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
clairestack

Considering buying a Float...

Hi there

I'm currently looking at the possibility of buying an "entry level" 2 horse Float with a friend. We're considering spending up to $6k.

This will be my first float purchase (previous experience has been the generous offers of other people!)

So I wanted to start a thread asking for your feedback!

What to look out for?

How to make safety checks other than RWC?

What worked well for you with certain brands?

What was limiting/challenging/dangerous in your opinion/experiences?

and of course if you're aware of anything fitting this description you know of for sale please feel free to post!

Hi Claire

How exciting to be buying your own float :)

The main things I would be looking out for are obviously check the subfloor to make sure its not rusting out and is safe for your precious steeds. My other priorities would be check the Tailgate, bearings and the brakes. If they're good you should really be good to go. If the seller doesn't mind its also a really good idea to see if you can test tow it behind your car too. In the mean time tow as many of your friends floats as you can to get a feel for how the different brands tow. They are all quite different depending who made them, and they will also be different once weighted with your ponies.

Not sure on how floats price in Qld but here in Victoria you would get a pretty awesome first float for $6K. I spent $3500 on mine and I towed that everywhere, including up to QS and back - I love my old float, but upgraded last year to a new angle load. While Ive had it its had maintenance repairs so Ive spent about $2000 in the 5 years I had it and Im about to sell it again for what I purchased it for.

Good luck, happy shopping.

Jen thank you for taking time to reply and share your experience I hope the "right" one turns up at the right price soon :)

Hi Claire :)

You already know how much I love my float lol

I agree with Jen, check under the float and have a look at the floor and chasis. Look for rust on anything metal, test the ramp (jump around on it if you need to) and tow as much as you can to 'feel' each brand. Suspension makes a difference on how it tows also.

Look into electric brakes, you may need to put a control box inside your car if there isn't one on the float (will be up near the tow bar).

Floats are also alot cheaper down south, you will be able to get more for your money if you buy VIC way. Maybe a fellow QS student may be able to look on your behalf ??

If I think of anything else, I will post more :)

Happy shopping

Hi Claire,

have you made a 'wish list' re inclusions in the float:

removable chest bars and centre divider - ( great when you spend time sleeping in float at camps/clinics)

rain cover or barn/lift up back door - again if you plan to sleep in float

both based on being in Vic where it gets cold and wet often when we're at clinics!

Otherwise ditto to what has been said

Have fun shopping

Great advice from the girls already Claire so ditto from me also.

A good second hand quality float is going to be better than a cheap new one with a flash paint job. You can always get a good one painted but you can't make a shiny cheap one better if that makes sense.

Definitely see how it tows....lots of difference there.

Also keep it simple. Some of them have so much unnecessary stuff on them you just don't need so you don't want to pay extra for it.

Remember that horses like to get their feet wide to get their balance and travel well, so avoid narrow ones.

Also have a very good look over it for sticky outy bits and anything that a rope, halter, hoof or anything else can get hooked on. You'll be amazed what a horse in a float can find to get into trouble with so be a horse and check everything out.

Good luck. Very exciting!

Ditto to all of the above, but also check the tail gate latch. Some have a hook which points down when the tail gate is down, which horses can catch themselves on, particularly if they tend to "dance" around it (which Eddie did before QS).

Here's an interested website. http://www.horseproblems.com.au/problem_horse_or_problem_horse_f.htm

Edited by ann

Hmm I don't think John likes much at all really by the look of his website.

How about we use common sense with sticking out bits on the horse floats and teach our horses to think rather than react just in case they do get stuck.

Flat earth vs round earth thinking here.

You're absolutely right Shane, when I first purchased my old float I had a mental list of all the things I was going to change to be easier/safer to load or travel my horse and you know what.... by the time Id finished Level 1 I didn't have to bother with any of them :cowboy:

Yes, I totally agree. Work on your horsemanship and the world improves for horse and human.

Some people just like to find problems. Sorry Ann I don't mean you but sites like this one don't really focus us in the right direction I think.

I had the worse horse floating issues to work through with coolie after a terrible pre QS accident in the float. thanks to Qs we have worked through it. I bought a jr long reach float to give me some confidence in the beginning with the wider leg room. Ticked off those cards and had plenty of practice getting out and about. Floating is no longer an issue. I recently upgraded to a gooseneck angle load and initially was quite worried about transitioning him and thinking my problems might all start again with a different float. I was delighted when his first loading time came, we went through the level 1 float loading prep, no issues there at all and in he went. He was a little confused about having to go on the angle but thanks to a good hindquarter yield and respect for personal space he was great. Yes he was a little nervous, and so was I, but with the right prep, level 2 under our belt, and a good trusting relationship we have made the transition. It does go to show that it is really not about the float!

I was so pleased recently when we went off to tamborine (4hrs away) for a clinic with Mel, With my husbands motorbike in the first bay and Coolie in the second bay without a single snort from Mr Snorty!

I know this wasn't a post about trouble floating but I just wanted to second Shane's comments about teaching our horses to think! Yah QS!

Thank you every one for taking time to post your thoughts. I have only just discovered how to follow posts here on the forum hence the immense delay in acknowledging you all!!

Fiona that's a wonderful story - I think I met you as I popped in at the Clinic and met Mr Snorty! Congratulations on coming so far :)

Shane and Meredith, thank you, I know this is your home, creation, vision, mission, but the way you ensure your presence is felt here keeping the focus on what's best for Horsemanship and the future is inspiring.

I'm off to trawl a few more pages and sales!

Hi Clare,

I have a two horse Otto Tuzza that I want to sell. Its an oldie but a goodie. We had it referred a few years ago, all new floors, new marine ply, rubber matting, roof re fibreglassed, repainted, etc...my husband re welded all the joints before the sheeting was put back on.

I want $4000 for it. It will need new axles and shock system put under it... Otto Tuzas have a different suspension system and it is the last thing that we still need to do. We are selling at this price due to that.

I got a quote at about $800 per axle to be installed.

I have done so many miles in this float. Have had it for 25 years! :eek: now thats showing my age! It has a tent/annex that goes off the side, I haven't used that in years, but great for camping.

Just send me a message if your interested... I'm in Cobar, western nsw... no rust problems out here... it never rains!

Jillion thanks for tour message since this is a joint purchase I'm going to take your offer to the other party and have a chat... However fair to say I'm interested!!!

ps apologies for typos was using fat fingers on my iPhone!

Good luck Claire. It is so wonderful to be mobile!

I just wanted to say thank you also, for your lovely comments. It really means a lot to Shane and I to get feedback like that. You've made my day. xxx