• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things that make you hmmm....

This morning I had one of those Doh moments that kind of hit you like a brick...

In my warm ups with Rors we generally add in a couple of Liberty circles to our saddling procedure so I can see how our connection is going, and it gives Rors a moment to let me know what she thinks of me! Quite often she leaves and I work her a bit, regain my connection and she comes back.

Today she left (my own fault as I was in the wrong position and sent her away), I started to walk over to her to 'reconnect' (ie make ...) her come back to me, but instead I took a couple of steps paused and waited, wondering what she would do.. She looked at me like she usually does, right about when she normally takes off around the paddock but because I did nothing you know what she did?.. She came straight back to me - yes I can see your ah ha face Meredith! Certainly some licking and chew was being done by me at that point!

Just another one of those DO LESS moments I'm trying to retrain myself for!

Yes I learnt this with Pocco, once I said and believed that 'it just does not matter' (it's still important to have focus ) but it just did not matter, he chose to stay with me. When it matters too much there is that make , a feeling , a thought, and they know it.

It really was a great feeling to pause and give her the opportunity to make the decision. I thought I had been doing that but with all my 'doing' mentality I really hadn't put in that pause that she needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha Jen!

Thank you for sharing! Yes, the offering them to come to you is a biggy for me too! It really helps with building a connection doesn't it!