• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Working or Schooling in Grazing Paddock

Hello to the collective wisdom of the forum,

I have been pondering..... lots of trainers say that you should not train or school your horse where he grazes. I figured it was so that the horse learns the difference between his workspace eg arena and his paddock, and that the change of environment was (possibly) mentally stimulating to him as well.

However, now that I have entered Quantum Savvy Land, I am questioning lots of things...

For example, if we are good and proper leaders for our horses, it shouldn't matter where we school them, as we would ask the same level of respect and communication no matter where we are.

I could also imagine though, that a horse would get bored with living and working in the same place all the time, which is why it is good for their growth (and ours) to take them out to different places and expose them to lots of different things.

Any other thoughts???

My horse works and grazes in the same paddock, although I will tend to ride him in one area. You are right, it shouldn't matter where we school them as long as we ask that they give us their attention and we equally give them ours when we are working with them.

As soon as I have finished working with Zabel he will hang around or wander off or graze as he wishes but he knows he is no longer 'working' as I am not asking anything of him, so I don't think there needs to be a difference between a work and relaxing space. Keeping the work and yourself interesting and also pushing your horse (and yourself) out of your comfort zone will keep them mentally stimulated.

Having said that it is good to get our horses out and about which is something I really need to do more of.

As I don't have a 'designated' work area in any of my paddocks at home, we tend to play in the area Bailey is in at the time - and if I have a round yard taped, it tends to be where I can get the posts in!

I agree it shouldn't matter where, and getting them out and about to new or varied places is good for everyone's mind and connection - while maintaining safety for all concerned :)

What a great discussion Tania, I had forgotten about this line of thinking. I too believed this prior to QS and would make sure that my horse couldn't even eat in that area.

Now with QS I dont feel it matters anymore. If I am a good leader for my horse, it shouldn't matter where we have our sessions :)

Jenn :D

He he! When we used to go to camp at Jimboomba, we would be working in a big open paddock, we were in other horses homes, they would wander around through us, come up and stickleback, run past and so on. It sometimes pushed emotional buttons but always we got through it and it all worked out fine.

I think that it doesn't matter where you work, like Sue, I would sometimes work Leroy in the horse paddock, a thousand acres. He didn't seem to mind, in fact I think he prefers it. Id go to where ever they were and the other horses would hang around and then when we were finished I would just hang out for a bit and leave... it was great. Too many prickles though out here!

Have fun what ever you decide to do, the most important thing is that you stick to your homework cards, offer release, keep hanging out with us and you will do amazing things with your horse.

Cheers

Jill.

Hi TanIA,

You are tight.. It shouldn't make a difference.

You can be mindful of where you and your horse are on the programme... You might need a smaller enclosed area for some tasks and be OK in big wide open spaces (have I heard that song before!) for others.

There is something about working in the same area of your big open space everytime to begin with that is helpful to your progress when you start off... And then you can take it anywhere!

Good luck and have fun! Keep us posted!